Insulin squirting from pen

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Im relatively new to insulin (on second or third pen). The last 2 pens start squirting insulin when I get down to the last 3rd of the insulin.

When I do the test with 2 units it *squirt*s out rather than the normal drip (no matter how slow I press). And if I test it with my dose it also squirts alot. And now when I inject I get a alittle stinging - which I think is extra insulin pooling under the skin before it gets absorbed.

I threw the last pen away thinking its maybe a one off faulty pen or id made a mistake when adding the needle somehow.

Now its happened on this insulin pen as well. Im going to open a new one tomorrow but it seems a waste if im throwing out 1/3 to 1/4 of every pen.

Im thinking the rubber seal that gets pierced each time you attach a needle has 'thinned'. Ive looked at the rubber seal and I didnt see any clear hole so im assuming its been perforated to many times and thin holes remain allowing extra to come out?

Does anyone have any experience of this? Am I doing something wrong?

Im currently dosing 4 units pd so maybe that means im using the pen for longer than its designed? Someone dosing 10 units a day (2 units pd testing + 10 units pd dose = 12) would use up the pen in 8 needles, whereas im using it for 16 days / needles (4 dose + 2 testing = 6) ?

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Are you saying the rubber membrane that the needle petirces on the insulin cartridge, leaks? After time & isertion of the needles?
What insulin do you use?
What needles do you use?

Have you contacted your DSN or doc explaining/demonstrating this issue?
Or for that matter, the chemist you picked the script up from?

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

1. Are you saying the rubber membrane that the needle petirces on the insulin cartridge, leaks? After time & isertion of the needles?
2. What insulin do you use?
3. What needles do you use?

4. Have you contacted your DSN or doc explaining/demonstrating this issue?
5. Or for that matter, the chemist you picked the script up from?

1. Yes - my theory.
2. Lantus
3. BD Viva 5mm
4. I haven't contacted my DSN because the first time / first pen I thought it might be a one off bad pen or my mistake and just opened a new pen. Now its happened again im asking here and depending upon answers and see what happens tomorrow AM - ill contact my DSN.
5. Not yet.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1. Yes - my theory.
2. Lantus
3. BD Viva 5mm
4. I haven't contacted my DSN because the first time / first pen I thought it might be a one off bad pen or my mistake and just opened a new pen. Now its happened again im asking here and depending upon answers and see what happens tomorrow am ill contact my DSN.
5. Not yet.

Ah, Lantus. I use lantus but in reusable pens. I've personally never had that issue.
(& not discounting yours..)

However, I have noticed mine can use potency around 2/3 the way down the cartridge..
This was confirmed with rigorous basal testing on my part with a meter & using sensors.

If I was in your position? Keep the faulty pen with the needle still attached & show the fault to an HCP..

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
For testing before injecting, I've always had insulin squirt. When I was trained at A&E by a diabetes nurse she said to use 2 units so that you could see it squirt and you could see it wasn't blocked.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For testing before injecting, I've always had insulin squirt. When I was trained at A&E by a diabetes nurse she said to use 2 units so that you could see it squirt and you could see it wasn't blocked.

Priming the needle. Or an "airshot." Yeah, I agree.

But from what I can gather from the OP. He seems to be suggesting the cartridge membrane is perforated from previous needle change use?

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Whenever I usually do an air shot test it DRIPS 2-3 drips. It only squirts out NOW, AFTER 2/3rd of the pen has been used. Suggesting more than should be is coming out - 2-3 drips visually is much less than a squirt.

And if I do an air shot of my 4 units dose it also now squirts, the previous times it drips 4-5-6 drips.

Ill test it tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Awmaines

sbunce

Hello my lantus pen never squirts a stream like my novorapid does. I only get three drops or so with the air drop. Is this normal???

Reactions: Ceebee2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my lantus pen never squirts a stream like my novorapid does. I only get three drops or so with the air drop. Is this normal???

Hi, do you use the reusable Alstar pro pen?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Whenever I usually do an air shot test it DRIPS 2-3 drips. It only squirts out NOW, AFTER 2/3rd of the pen has been used. Suggesting more than should be is coming out - 2-3 drips visually is much less than a squirt.

And if I do an air shot of my 4 units dose it also now squirts, the previous times it drips 4-5-6 drips.

Ill test it tomorrow morning and see what happens.

It could simply be air that you get less insulin I always get more air form in a fuller pen

I do notice this with my tees is with air shots too

Another theory is that there is less back pressure in a full pen than one which is nearly empty however the back pressure exists when the needle is inserted under the skin

I would doubt you are getting more insulin unless you start getting hypos then it’s unlikely

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
2 units with a novopen which only has about a third left. As I say I think you will find there is more back pressure so it appears more

But even a pen which only gives a few drips when full and doing an air shot should give more in the skin as it has more back pressure

To decide for yourself if it’s about right record the amount of units you dial in and squeeze out as if for 2 thirds of the pen it’s squeezing out only 2 or 3 drops then the pen would last for much more that 3 units you will see when the plungers is at about a third through the vial is it about 200 units you’ve counted??

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
2u should push a jet? (It does on my Pro.)

Do you have a spare pen for comparison?

May not when full without back pressure I get drips from my degludec pen until it’s at least half full. But once it’s in the skin and there back pressure it’s fine I can tell from the lump under the skin

sbunce

Thank you. I should point out only a dose of 0.5 is administered. I just tried air shot of four units and I got a good jet of insulin. Two units still only gives a few drops. 0.5 just gives one drop.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you. I should point out only a dose of 0.5 is administered. I just tried air shot of four units and I got a good jet of insulin. Two units still only gives a few drops. 0.5 just gives one drop.

Again count.. if after 150 units it counted your plunger is as good as half way then I guess the right amount is being delivered

I also assume that if not enough was being delivered from a full pen that you’d be running high then if 2 thirds through the pen 3 time as much was being delivered you’d have constant hypos

So unless you experience issues medically speaking carry on as you are

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again count.. if after 150 units it counted your plunger is as good as half way then I guess the right amount is being delivered

I also assume that if not enough was being delivered from a full pen that you’d be running high then if 2 thirds through the pen 3 time as much was being delivered you’d have constant hypos

So unless you experience issues medically speaking carry on as you are

Alas, I feel there are too many variables with the human metabolism thrown into the mix to pinpoint a dodgy pen delivery.

You could simply dial up 20u & check it fills up to the line of a needle cap? (After performing an airshot.)

image.jpeg