Insulin storage

perkins16875

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, first time posting. My son was diagnosed in May this year. He has spare insulin at school and had to use his school pen and insulin cartridge back in June this year. The pen was put straight back in the fridge. He has forgotten his pen today and I wondered if he could still use the same pen and insulin capsule today? I know it’s supposed to last for 4 weeks outside the fridge but has not been outside the Fridge? Many thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin is approved to last about a month out of the fridge.
If insulin is taken out of the fridge and returned, only the length of time our of the fridge (e.g. one day) needs to be subtracted from the remaining lifespan of that insulin.

For example, I use an insulin pump and when I am away from home overnight, I will take a pen cartridge out of the fridge as a back up in case my pump fails. The cartridge is returned to the fridge when I return to be taken the next 29 (individual) nights away.

So, yes, your son can use the pen from the school fridge if you are confident it has not been tampered with.

perkins16875

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is approved to last about a month out of the fridge.
If insulin is taken out of the fridge and returned, only the length of time our of the fridge (e.g. one day) needs to be subtracted from the remaining lifespan of that insulin.

For example, I use an insulin pump and when I am away from home overnight, I will take a pen cartridge out of the fridge as a back up in case my pump fails. The cartridge is returned to the fridge when I return to be taken the next 29 (individual) nights away.

So, yes, your son can use the pen from the school fridge if you are confident it has not been tampered with.
Thank you. That’s great. Still getting to grips with it all. Massive help, thank you.

Reactions: In Response