Insulin type

Bhaumik84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know the difference between the insulin Humalog and Novorapid?? I am on Humalog and have the option to switch over to Novorapid because it is cheaper for me to get so want to know the difference between the two.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bhaumik84,
Often these two insulins are considered to be the same for diabetics in terms of usage and effect curves. Some individuals may divert from the vast majority on how a certain insulin may work for you, but these are the official 'tech specs' for the two fast acting insulins you have the choice between on the 3 most critical values I think you have for us as patients using them:

Onset time in hours after injection:
Humalog (lispro insulin): <0.3-0.5h (for me personally I had it around 30 minutes after injection)
NovoRapid (insulin aspart): 0.25h (personally 15-20 minutes)

Peak effect point in hours after injection:
Humalog (lispro insulin): 0.5-2.5h (for me personally I had it around 1.5hours after injection)
NovoRapid (insulin aspart): 0.5-1.0h (personally around 40 minutes)

Effect duration (tail-end length of effect) in hours after injection:
Humalog (lispro insulin): <3.0-6.5h (for me personally I had it around 4.5-5 hours after injection)
NovoRapid (insulin aspart): 3.0-5.0 (personally around 3 hours)

So though many consider these two insulins the same, if you really go into details there are some distinct differences. And your personal profile may also trigger these differences to be more important or nothing at all. Best is to try them out personally I would say. Why not if you have the chance? :)
Due to the way the two insulins worked in my body and how I live/work/eat/etc I chose the NovoRapid insulin aspart to be the best for me. I prefer when I can take the fast acting just before eating when I more or less have 100% certainty on what I will eat of carbs and when (onset time). And I like the peak effect point to be fairly short after injection point, as my digestion works well and quick, so my bg raises in same timeframe as my insulin effect curve to match it. (the Humalog was not quick enough for me, so bg raised during digesting the meal, and if I took more of it to increase earlier effect I always went hypo hours later due to its longer tail end effect) And last but not least, the duration of my bolus I want to be as short as absolute possible, because I have my basal insulin perfectly adjusted, so I want my bolus to cover just the food I eat and nothing else. And also that the tail end of the effect curve is not so long that I need to snack in between my main meals to avoid going hypo. Or likewise make it more challenging for me not to go hypo if I suddenly engage in some unplanned physical activity between main meals.

Enclosed a link to the tech spec comparison chart:
http://slideplayer.com/slide/5273806/

Last edited:

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
A good post @Celsus I enjoyed reading it. Good link, I read it all through, very nicely put and easy to understand.