Insulin

Rich5578

I am aware that type 2 can have something to do with your immune system, and am wondering if over time you can get more resistant to treatment.
I started off as diet only, but after a year or so was put on tablets, I ended up trying everything, and the only one to really make a difference was mataformin, but his left me with headaches and heartburn so bad I could hardly function. I am now on insulin and have been for about 4 months. I started off on 12 units of lantus and then introduced humalog a week later at half a unit per 10g of carbs. I am now on 34 units of lantus and 1 unit per 10g of carb for humalog, and still can't get a regular fasting blood sugar count much below 10. Initially when I started on the insulin things seemed to work but now I am having to increase the dose every week or so.

Thanks

Rich

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

have you tried splitting your lantus into two injections?

Lantus is known not to last 24 hours..

So splitting it ensures you get full 24 hours coverage,

i recently did this with the lantus i take and actually found it worked much better and went from 16/16 to 12/14... so i managed to reduce it too!

If your interested in doing this ask you DN on better details on how this could work for you :)

Rich5578

I spoke to the diabetic nurse and I moved to injecting the Lantus on a night before bed rather than in the morning, therefore letting the Humalog do more of the daytime work. I injected 34 units last night at about half ten and have a fasting blood sugar reading of 11.4 this morning. When I first started on Lantus it brought my fasting readings down to 8 ish and occasionally a mid 7, but now it seems to have less of an effect. I am increasing the dose by 4 units every 4 days at the moment trying to get the fasting readings down.

I store my insulin in the fridge and then take the pen that I am using out of the fridge. Is it possible that with the weather being warmer that it can go off a lot quicker?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Rich5578 said:
I spoke to the diabetic nurse and I moved to injecting the Lantus on a night before bed rather than in the morning, therefore letting the Humalog do more of the daytime work. I injected 34 units last night at about half ten and have a fasting blood sugar reading of 11.4 this morning. When I first started on Lantus it brought my fasting readings down to 8 ish and occasionally a mid 7, but now it seems to have less of an effect. I am increasing the dose by 4 units every 4 days at the moment trying to get the fasting readings down.

I store my insulin in the fridge and then take the pen that I am using out of the fridge. Is it possible that with the weather being warmer that it can go off a lot quicker?

what are your readings before you go to bed?

what are your fasting levels between meals?

if your background is accurate you should be getting constant readings throughout the day if your doing no corrections, as your humalog should cover your meals so yuor background should keep it level inbetween, thats another good incdicator as well as your morning levels.

if you read your leaflet in your insulin box it should tell you what temperatures to keep it at, wether in the fridge or not..

aslong as your insulin is our of direct sunlight or nea anything like a radiator it should be fine. try switching to a new pen from the fridge to see if it makes a difference.

have you heard of the dawn phenomenon? this could explain your higher readings in the morning..

before you go to bed try eating a small snack of something carb free.. cold meat and some cheese maybe... some people do this to trick the body into now raising the BG's just before you wake up..

might not work but its worth a try. :)