Type 1 insulin

matt-uk

hi there I dunno weather I have post this in the right place I just wanted to know is there any insulins out there don't
put on weight im also type 1 and have a phobia of needles im on nova rapid and troshiba as me back ground stuff
and coz I know the Toshiba one puts on weight and the needle phobia I have only took the back ground insulin about
twice in 2 years I need to know maybe if there also was a mix out there of the fast and slow stuff together and I would
have to inject so much.
:banghead:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @matt-uk
Take a look at the i-port which may help the needle phobia.
Yes there are mixed insulins which can be injected twice a day but they offer less flexibility in terms of eating as you pretty much have to stick to fixed doses and carb levels.
As for weight gain some people report increased weight and some don’t - but without insulin your body cannot use the energy from food effectively.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there I dunno weather I have post this in the right place I just wanted to know is there any insulins out there don't
put on weight im also type 1 and have a phobia of needles im on nova rapid and troshiba as me back ground stuff
and coz I know the Toshiba one puts on weight and the needle phobia I have only took the back ground insulin about
twice in 2 years I need to know maybe if there also was a mix out there of the fast and slow stuff together and I would
have to inject so much.
:banghead:
Hello welcome,
I was on mixed insulin during my diagnosis and it didn't agree with me because you couldn't correct when needed and no room to eat a snack if you're feeling a bit hungry. With your insulin regime, I was wondering whether you've been taught how to carb count and adjust your insulin for it? This will help you minimise highs and lows. It will also help you adjust your insulin for low carb or keto diets if you're considering do either one of those. But it will be extremely important to know about reducing insulin on those diets. Also I don't know what you do in terms of work or work out routine, but it'll be good for you to weigh yourself with a fat to muscle ratio, so you know whether you've gained more muscle than fat or vice versa. I haven't gained any weigh with novorapid and tresiba but I know some that have done a carb counting course have noticed their weight loss because they're only injecting for the carbs they are eating.
As for your needle phobia, I don't know much about it but I know there are tools to help you inject. Like tickle flex.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has a needle phobia and I had to inject her for 15 years. Last year we found Insujet Jet injectors - no needles - it pushes the insulin into you at very fast speed. It is available on the NHS and it has changed my 20 year old daughters life. It is fantastic.