Insulin

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason some HCPs want to put adult onset type 1 on oral medication like gliclazide is because they think honeymoon period makes the management harder and they want to help the patient by ending honeymoon period sooner. My HCP did that.

This might be a valid way especially if you are on normal higher carb diet.

Other HCPs believe keeping beta cells alive longer as possible help the patient so put the patient straight on insulin - I think this is particularly valid for adult onset type one on low carb diet

DaveEK

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Type 1 or LADA, you should be put on insulin.

Are you correct? I was diagnosed LADA two years ago & am still on Metformin. The medics say I am in the "honeymoon" period. Sounds better than it is. The consultant said he would not consider insulim until my blood sugar starting hitting 8.5, and currently it is just over 6.

Like others I lost a lot of weight from a very slim frame. My BMI dropped to 19 but with advice from my dietician I am much more relaxed about my food and so now eat more - especially fat & protein so I am now at 20.2.

Daily I eat about 180g of carb.

If you think I am comfortable about all of this - well I am not really.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin has been shown to help preserve the remaining beta cells. I'd Google that, print the various articles off and stick them in front of the consultant!