Insulin

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this might sound daft to type 1 and 2 diebetics. I am a type 2 on insulin. Some one said being on insulin you can eat anything in moderation. Just make sure you use the right amount of insulin to your card intake. No need for a low carb diet. Not sure if this duff information.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i know this is true for type 1s but not sure about type 2s x

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
No.. most people assume insulin is t1... but as you say both can have insulin

T1 can technically eat what they want but really the same is not true for t2's... t2s are insulin resistant and t2 is generally considered progressive

By eating what you want and controlling it with insulin will firstly make you increase weight.. the effects of the carbs and weight etc will more than likely make the insulin resistance worse meaning more and more insulin to the point some people take many hundreds of units a day

The best way is to remain on a strick carb controlled diet to try and minimise insulin usage

The 'can eat anything" still isn't totally true for t1s in the fact that if you over eat and control it with insulin you'll still gain weight and possibly become insulin resistant.... so 'anything in moderation'