Insulin

Teatime

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When do you take your metformin just done my insulin injection got to wait 30 minutes then eat do I take it after tea

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you take your metformin just done my insulin injection got to wait 30 minutes then eat do I take it after tea
I'm a bit puzzled by your post.
The title is 'Insulin' but you seem to be asking about metformin, is that right?

The advice is to take metformin with a meal to lessen the risk of side effects on the tummy. So right before or right after tea is fine.

Reactions: EllieM

Teatime

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a bit puzzled by your post.
The title is 'Insulin' but you seem to be asking about metformin, is that right?

The advice is to take metformin with a meal to lessen the risk of side effects on the tummy. So right before or right after tea is fine.

Not use to this insulin was on one I took at bed time so now I’m taking my medication more or less the same time as my insulin I’m nervous of getting hypos never had them just trial and error at moment

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I don’t take metformin. But here is some NHS advice on the medication & a brief section on recommended timing of it?

What insulin are your prescribed?

Regarding the metformin interacting with your insulin dose. Speaking with your pharmacist & or doctor for some rough guidance.

It will be a little trial and error fitting the meds with your lifestyle.

Keep testing bloods & logging results to spot a general trend.

Best wishes.

Jay.

Teatime

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

I don’t take metformin. But here is some NHS advice on the medication & a brief section on recommended timing of it?

What insulin are your prescribed?

Regarding the metformin interacting with your insulin dose. Speaking with your pharmacist & or doctor for some rough guidance.

It will be a little trial and error fitting the meds with your lifestyle.

Keep testing bloods & logging results to spot a general trend.

Best wishes.

Jay.

Just stared on humalin 3 10 units at breakfast & 10 at tea time

LouliePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is a med that builds up in your system over a number of days vs working immediately so what time you take it is pretty flexible (like if you have dinner at 5pm vs 6pm and take it with that meal, its not a big deal). Just aim for roughly the same time each day unless you are on multiple doses a day (then you should be told when to take it).
If you have problems with metformin and your tummy, taking midway through your meal of choice can help reduce issues.

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
When is it best to take Insulin, I am on 20 Units of Humulin1, once a day, but should I take it in the morning or evening??? Thank you.