Insulin

broads

very newly diagnosed type 2. Age 60 Starting on diet control. Will I end up having to have insulin? I just want to know.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 2 is progressive and depending on how you can control your blood sugars will depend on your treatment option's.

Sarah, I don't believe this is true. There are many many cases of type 2 diabetics not only avoiding complications long term, but becoming unmedicated as a result of normalised blood sugar levels.

Broads, whether you end up on insulin will depend on a number of factors. These include how long you were undiagnosed, how insulin resistant you became, your weight, but more importantly than anything, how quickly those blood sugars come down.

All the best,

fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sarah, whatever I do or don't believe is largely irrelevant.

There are many examples of diabetics, both types 1 and 2, who have not succumbed to progressive illnesses. Even if was written in stone that progression is inevitable, which it isn't, it wouldn't be the first time that such a depressing prediction was defied.

We both know of the many potential outcomes of diabetic blood sugar levels, but I firmly believe that none of these is inevitable if blood sugar levels can be kept within a normal range. To what extent that depends upon medication, diet and exercise will vary for each of us.

We have both had diabetes for a very long time - me for 27 years and you a bit longer. Neither of us has any complications. Even alhough I had a complete disregard for the potential consequences for many years, I've been fortunate to have found a level of control which has greatly improved my health in every measurable sense. I'm not going to say it to their faces of course, but I'm also quite a bit healthier than many of my non-diabetic friends at my age now! :shock:

My point therefore is that progressive illness is not written in stone at all and in fact can often be reversible if blood glucose levels are normalised.The idea that progression is inevitable is, I think, largely a self-fulfilling prophecy far too easily accepted.

All the best,

fergus

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
fergus said:
Sarah, whatever I do or don't believe is largely irrelevant.

There are many examples of diabetics, both types 1 and 2, who have not succumbed to progressive illnesses. Even if was written in stone that progression is inevitable, which it isn't, it wouldn't be the first time that such a depressing prediction was defied.

We both know of the many potential outcomes of diabetic blood sugar levels, but I firmly believe that none of these is inevitable if blood sugar levels can be kept within a normal range. To what extent that depends upon medication, diet and exercise will vary for each of us.

We have both had diabetes for a very long time - me for 27 years and you a bit longer. Neither of us has any complications. Even alhough I had a complete disregard for the potential consequences for many years, I've been fortunate to have found a level of control which has greatly improved my health in every measurable sense. I'm not going to say it to their faces of course, but I'm also quite a bit healthier than many of my non-diabetic friends at my age now! :shock:

is this pick on sarah week or something....why dont you and your little clique stop ramming things down peoples throats and let them make their own minds up.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Enough, matty, this is getting ridiculous.
I have a great deal of respect for Sarah, but disagree with her on this issue.
I'm not ramming anything down anyone's throat either, you can take or leave whatever you hear and that's entirely your own business.
Talk of cliques and factions is spurious and not what this forum is about at all.

fergus

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Matty,
I have tried to remain neutral in the recent arguments that have arisen between the camps of the low and high carbers. However your two recent aggressive posts to Fergus have made me reluctantly step off from my comfortable fence.

On this forum we try to respect the views of others. That does not mean that if someone posts something that we believe to be incorrect that we just let it go. To do so would be irresponsible and likely to cause confusion to newly diagnosed members. We try to respond to what we believe to be incorrect information in a polite manner, showing respect for the other's point of view, as Fergus did in his response to Sarah.

In your own posts you are showing a complete lack of respect which I find totally unacceptable, particularly when it is aimed at a board member and moderator who devotes huge amounts of time to the forum and who's advice has probably saved the limbs if not the lives of many who have come to the forum seeking advice and guidance. To you I say very simply, if you do not like the advice that is given, or the way it is given, then go somewhere else where your particular brand of rudeness might be better appreciated.

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
Dennis said:
Matty,
I have tried to remain neutral in the recent arguments that have arisen between the camps of the low and high carbers. However your two recent aggressive posts to Fergus have made me reluctantly step off from my comfortable fence.

On this forum we try to respect the views of others. That does not mean that if someone posts something that we believe to be incorrect that we just let it go. To do so would be irresponsible and likely to cause confusion to newly diagnosed members. We try to respond to what we believe to be incorrect information in a polite manner, showing respect for the other's point of view, as Fergus did in his response to Sarah.

In your own posts you are showing a complete lack of respect which I find totally unacceptable, particularly when it is aimed at a board member and moderator who devotes huge amounts of time to the forum and who's advice has probably saved the limbs if not the lives of many who have come to the forum seeking advice and guidance. To you I say very simply, if you do not like the advice that is given, or the way it is given, then go somewhere else where your particular brand of rudeness might be better appreciated.

you are a moderator for this board yet you let another moderator take pot shots at another poster eh lad we are all here for the same reasons so get your own house in order before telling me what to do.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Matty,what Fergus said to Sarah was a reasoned difference of opinion.that is called freedom of speech and can lead to healthy debate based on the research and knowledge of two highly thought of members of this forum.What you said ,however ,to two moderators was just downright rude.Both Fergus and Dennis are very well researched and knowledgeable diabetics who contribute a lot of meaningful and helpful posts to this forum.

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
sugarless sue said:
Matty,what Fergus said to Sarah was a reasoned difference of opinion.that is called freedom of speech and can lead to healthy debate based on the research and knowledge of two highly thought of members of this forum.What you said ,however ,to two moderators was just downright rude.Both Fergus and Dennis are very well researched and knowledgeable diabetics who contribute a lot of meaningful and helpful posts to this forum.

ah well i know who is who now dont i so i know what threads to avoid.

Trinkwasser

broads said:
very newly diagnosed type 2. Age 60 Starting on diet control. Will I end up having to have insulin? I just want to know.

If you eat what the dietician tells you, almost inveitably

If you eat what your meter tells you

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

probably not

Disclaimer: some dieticians are a lot better than others and a small but increasing numbers of medical professionals are aware of what diabetics have been doing to slow or stop progression over the last decade or more. There's still an element of luck involved, but you can seriously alter the odds.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
broads said:
Will I end up having to have insulin?

Hello broads,

The answer to that question is not necessarily. Many type 2's who have actively sought to
avoid the need for insulin injections, have managed to do so very successfully.

Good luck,
timo.