1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulitard

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by laurajadedaniels09, Jan 17, 2009.

1. laurajadedaniels09

laurajadedaniels09 · Newbie

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site and just wanting some advice really.

I've been diagnoised a diabetic type 1 for nearly 2 years and i've put on a stone since i've been on insulitard. i've now decided seen as i've got a bit of a 'tummy' that i should try and loose some weight. ( none has told me i need to loose weight tho it's just for my own benefit)

i was wondering how easy it's going to be with being on insulitard? as all the time since i've been on it i'm always hungry! and i really want to loose weight but i'm always so hungry all the time??

anyway thanks for all ur replies in advice,

laura

2. Katharine

Katharine · Well-Known Member

If you are on too much insultatard it could be making you feel hungry. How are your blood sugars, ie hbaic and your blood sugars first thing?

What do you usually eat?

Higher carb diets need more insulin to cover them.

Most people find that if they reduce carbs a lot and increase fat and protein in the diet that they:

need less insulin
    get filled up with less food
    lose weight
    feel more energetic

Before you cut your carbs you may need to cut your insulin so your blood sugar does not go too low.

3. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,

I'm 100% in agreement with Katherine.
    Having used insulin for over 20 years, the key for me in losing weight was to use less insulin. The only way to do that and have a good blood sugar is to eat fewer carbohydrates. The added bonus is that a lower carb diet will have you feeling much less hungry too.

All the best,

fergus

4. laurajadedaniels09

laurajadedaniels09 · Newbie

Hello, thanks for all your replies.

I noticed a bit improvement when i first started insulitard as i lost a lot of weight as i was eating to keep up with my diabeties.

I now have lost my appetite quite a lot since then, and hardly ever eate breakfast then something like a quiche with salad for lunch then maybe pasta dish of some sort for dinner, any sorts of pasta and i'll eate them basically! oh and lamb and chicken i eate quite a bit of. My blood sugars are ok at the moment 4.5 4-9 ish in a morning before taking insulin. I know it's bad not to have any breakfast but some mornings i just can't face it? this weekend i've had breakfast though even if it was one crumpit better than nothing!

anyway thats all i can say really!

x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook