Insuln & weight gain

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dennis said:
sugarybibs said:
i do get a very tired feeling in afternoon times and feel i am going to fall asleep wherever i am but dont know if it could be the lantus.
Hi sugarybibs,
When you get this feeling of tiredness in the afternoon have you tested your blood sugar? What you are experiencing is often a symptom of high blood sugar levels.

Or even low blood sugar. When my BS is low I regularly feel tired and start yawning.

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
smcc said:
Dennis said:
sugarybibs said:
i do get a very tired feeling in afternoon times and feel i am going to fall asleep wherever i am but dont know if it could be the lantus.
Hi sugarybibs,
When you get this feeling of tiredness in the afternoon have you tested your blood sugar? What you are experiencing is often a symptom of high blood sugar levels.

Or even low blood sugar. When my BS is low I regularly feel tired and start yawning.
Hi Dennis, no i test my blood sugar regulary and it is usually about 9-11 in afternoon, but i do have a lot of lows and highs but as ive said even though i am very strict with my diet and have never missed my injections in all of 38 years of injecting and test my blood regulary i still still feel very tired mid afternoon.Maybe because i get everyday except weekend at 7am.See everyone off to work partner son age 21 daughters 22 19 17.Then go and look after elderley neighbour make sure she if ok and cook her breakfast then go to papershop and get papers for the pensioners in my road.I then get bus to shopping precint(not every day)but most days.Visit my brother every day who is an alcholic to see he is ok.I do all the gardening painting cleaning washing and cooking!!!!It would be easier if i was still in work!!!maybe i am tired because i do too much.Anyway just getting my things ready for Mathew Street festival tomorrow cant wait.Have to make sure i dont forget my needles etc and food and drinks.THanks for your reply and i am made up i found this site its brilliant

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
SarahQ said:
Hi sugarybibs, welcome to the forums.
I Can't ever remember boiling my syringes they were always kept in a special container filled with surgical spirit and yep I remember the cotton wool soaked in surgical spirit :)
Re you query about the joint pains and Lantus, that is one of the many problems people have reported since starting to use it.
Hi SarahQ,thanks for your reply and i just remembered i did put my syringes in container filled with surgical spirit and then boiled them once a week!!!i also remembered them tablets you put in a test tube thing with your urine to see what colour it went!!!!Imagine having to do all that now everyting is much better these days.You couldnt even buy hardly anything sugarfree.I am definately getting in touch with diabetes nurse about this Lantus to see if i can try something else because as i said ive never had joint pains like this ever and i know people in their late 50s and even up to 70s who dont have joint pain.We will have to find out how many people have these symptons on Lantus.Anyway thanks for your reply keep in touch.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to score the perfect blue with those by adding extra water to the test tube

Brilliant! That's exactly what I used to do! It became such a habit I used to do it with my samples at the clinic too.
Those were the dark ages allright. I was trying to remember the colour changes with the urinalysis tablets. Was it blue, then green, then yellow?

All the best,

fergus

lostsoul

New to this forum, but not to diabetes. so please excuse my brashness and forthrightness.
Better off with animal insulins....doctors do not always know best.

I have always wished that Professor Banting and his colleagues could have stuck around a while longer, so he could see us now...banting over various insulins and which ones cause the greatest weight gains over a period of time! All insulins, whether they be Humalog to Porcine react differently to differnt bodies, dependant on how the body is treated by the victim. We are victims. I am a childhood victim of diabetes for nearly 40 years, and have to deal with a variety of other debilitating diseases, all of which I contracted from birth. I look younger than I am. I was diagnosed at age 11, 4 or 6 years after having open heart surgery at age 5 or 7. That was not the worst of it. I was always skinny, never ate much, (still don't) hated food, especially meats, spent my whole childhood in and out of wards. I hate the medical profession and told them so. A very expensive and richly paid doctor (that my emplyers refered me to) refered to me as a "walking wreck!". Where has the compassion gone? No humility, no compassion, no dignity or modicum of sincerity in what they practice anymore. I always thought the first rule of medicine was 'do no harm'.

Since being told this year, that Actrapid and Insulatard would no longer be available, I was pushed into using the 21st Century Autopen and vials of Porcine animal insulin that I have always used. (allergic reactions to human insulins, but do the doctors and pharmaceutical companies care...No).
I hate the lot of them for the disgusting way in which they treated me in 2006 as an in patient. Not allowed to swear on this website. Shame

Animal insulins are better: better control, guage hypo's easier, warning signals always at hand, except at night. I have recently lost 18 pounds in body mass, continuing to lose weight. I am slim, flat stomach and my BG's fluctuate between 2.00-16. I take steroidal inhalers everyday as well as other meds. I feel better for the weight loss and I look good, but I feel rotten inside. Angry all the time. near to downright murderous. Low blood sugars mostly at night. Whenever I sit inside a hospital doctor's room, I feel like a prisoner waiting to be tortured and interrogated. A doctor asked me to lose weight within six months because of my inability to swallow food. He asked me to lose more weight eventhough i was getting flatter. Found out what was wrong with me. Have walked out and had arguments with the way they talk to me. The last Doctor I spoke to, said " My problem with you....!" Maybe we shold all be model citizen diabetics, for these doctors to parade in front of TV Cameras. Slim versus fat.

I look forward to the day when the human body will tell us why our beta cells died, and what killed them off. Genetics? mixed breeding? hereditary biogenitics ? or simply, it runs in the family, as it does in mine. By then, I will be a STICK!