Interesting article on obesity and insulin

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @bulkbiker for this insightful article. How do we get the doubters of the low carb revolution to read it and believe it ??

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @bulkbiker for this insightful article. How do we get the doubters of the low carb revolution to read it and believe it ??
Wish I knew.. we're getting there slowly but as the saying goes.. "Science advances one funeral at a time"

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Wish I knew.. we're getting there slowly but as the saying goes.. "Science advances one funeral at a time"
Yes, mistakes get buried and ignorance prevails.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of long words :wideyed:

I'm going to have another double espresso, and then read it again :bookworm:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The phrase '....weight neutral at best' struck a cord with me. One in the eye for people who think (and sometimes appear intransigent) that non obese T2s are invariably undiagnosed/misdiagnosed LADA or T1.

Excellent piece, thank you.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Really interesting reading! Thank you.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The phrase '....weight neutral at best' struck a cord with me. One in the eye for people who think (and sometimes appear intransigent) that non obese T2s are invariably undiagnosed/misdiagnosed LADA or T1.

Excellent piece, thank you.
I don't know how you made that interpretation. The phrase you quoted was referring to the effect on weight of exogenous insulin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't know how you made that interpretation. The phrase you quoted was referring to the effect on weight of exogenous insulin.

Whether exogenous or endogenous the result can be the same, meaning that there are outliers with both. That is my interpretation.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great find @bulkbiker . It had me looking at the Medichecks Fasting Insulin Test again.

Whom did you use for yours, if you don't mind saying?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great find @bulkbiker . It had me looking at the Medichecks Fasting Insulin Test again.

Whom did you use for yours, if you don't mind saying?
Medichecks was who I used.. I think they are the most reasonable.. (I did quite a lot of research!). If anyone can find it cheaper than £39 then please let me know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you said, an interesting piece. It is not breaking new ground itself, but it is reviewing current trends and so is a commentary article. I am impressed by the list of references at the end. What is more impressive IMHO is that I only recognise one paper by Robert Lustig mentioned, and no reliance on gurus or bloggers for supporting evidence. This is in my mind a strong positive for the article as serious work, and I am bookmarking it for return visits. Thank you BB this is a valuable gem.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you said, an interesting piece. It is not breaking new ground itself, but it is reviewing current trends and so is a commentary article. I am inpressed by the list of references at the end. What is more impressive IMHO is that I only recognise one paper by Robert Lustig mentioned, and no reliance on gurus or bloggers for supporting evidence. This is in my mind a strong positive for the article as serious work, and I am bookmarking it for return visits. Thank you BB this is a valuable gem.
Now I'll have to try to remember where I found it.. either facebook or twitter..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I'll have to try to remember where I found it.. either facebook or twitter..
The article itself is all you need,surely. The link is in your OP so can be bookmarked by any one of us. That is the important thing. The messenger boy is not important, unless you are intending to tip them. The society is based in Bristol, and it is their mag.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The article itself is all you need,surely. The link is in your OP so can be bookmarked by any one of us. That is the important thing. The messenger boy is not important, unless you are intending to tip them. The society is based in Bristol, and it is their mag.
No it's just that it wasn't me that found it originally I saw it on twitter or facebook.. I just provided the link.
You know I hate misrepresentation more than anything else so can't take the credit for some-one else's discovery.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you bulkbiker. As someone only diagnosed T2 three months ago, I decided on a low carb, restricted intake as my personal management strategy before I found this site. Three months later my HbA1c has gone from 89 to 34 and my weight has dropped about 9kg. I don’t do high fat as I don’t like fat much but am slowly finding more things i can eat. Stopped my statin yesterday. I hope to maintain my decent results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you bulkbiker. As someone only diagnosed T2 three months ago, I decided on a low carb, restricted intake as my personal management strategy before I found this site. Three months later my HbA1c has gone from 89 to 34 and my weight has dropped about 9kg. I don’t do high fat as I don’t like fat much but am slowly finding more things i can eat. Stopped my statin yesterday. I hope to maintain my decent results.
Brilliant results and well done for taking control.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I am pretty chuffed and my GP was gobsmacked.

Reactions: zand

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it's just that it wasn't me that found it originally I saw it on twitter or facebook.. I just provided the link.
You know I hate misrepresentation more than anything else so can't take the credit for some-one else's discovery.
This site is full of links that come from external sources. I know that Med / Pioppi is not your bag, so I am happy to thank you for disseminating this info for us all to share.