Intermittent Fasting & High BGL

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
Has anyone experienced high blood glucose level during intermittent fasting?

Before pregnancy I never had problem with this and now it seems to change. Few times I did it this week and my BGL was high.

Weird.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone experienced high blood glucose level during intermittent fasting?

Before pregnancy I never had problem with this and now it seems to change. Few times I did it this week and my BGL was high.

Weird.
Hi @ainiabdul when is your bgs higher - before or after meals or both or first thing in the morning? Myself and others can experience higher fasting bs, especially on waking as our livers are dumping more sugar in the blood to compensate for less food. But I can only speak from my own experience as a diet-controlled t2 - I notice from your profile page you take insulin, so hopefully another member who takes insulin and practises fasting will be able to share their experiences as well with you, as I don't know how your medication could possibly affect things.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @ainiabdul when is your bgs higher - before or after meals or both or first thing in the morning? Myself and others can experience higher fasting bs, especially on waking as our livers are dumping more sugar in the blood to compensate for less food. But I can only speak from my own experience as a diet-controlled t2 - I notice from your profile page you take insulin, so hopefully another member who takes insulin and practises fasting will be able to share their experiences as well with you, as I don't know how your medication could possibly affect things.

I am on VLCD and it has helped me halved my insulin intake. And last year before I got pregnant, intermittent fasting was a delight, helped me lower my insulin intake further.

On waking my BGL is fine.

But when fasting is continued during the day, BGL has gone up significantly!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on VLCD and it has helped me halved my insulin intake. And last year before I got pregnant, intermittent fasting was a delight, helped me lower my insulin intake further.

That is a puzzle - usually when I've fasted it's the first morning reading that takes a hit. But as I'm not on insulin I can't really give any real insight, hopefully someone else will come along with their take on it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you still pregnant ainiabdul? If you are still pregnant, or only shortly post-partum, your hormones could be impacting this significantly.

Have you spoke to your doctor about this?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @ainiabdul

Like @eggs11 I only have experience as diet controlled, but I used to find that my blood glucose would rise and rise then crash if i went too long without food.

Since I have reduced my carb intake significantly, that doesn’t happen any more.

I have also found that a mug of coffee with cream, or an ounce of cheese will stop the rise that happens if I skip breakfast.
No idea if that will work for you, with insulin in the equation, but may be worth a try?
I don’t find the cream and the cheese affects blood glucose - except to stop it rising. They may contain a few calories, but IF allows that. :)

Reactions: eggs11

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you still pregnant ainiabdul? If you are still pregnant, or only shortly post-partum, your hormones could be impacting this significantly.

Have you spoke to your doctor about this?

I am 7 months Postpartum.
I was on rather High Carb diet during pregnancy because of severe hyperemesis and hospitalisation every other week till delivery. Took moderate amount of carb during breastfeeding and now as off from it I am back to LCD.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi and welcome @ainiabdul

Like @eggs11 I only have experience as diet controlled, but I used to find that my blood glucose would rise and rise then crash if i went too long without food.

Since I have reduced my carb intake significantly, that doesn’t happen any more.

I have also found that a mug of coffee with cream, or an ounce of cheese will stop the rise that happens if I skip breakfast.
No idea if that will work for you, with insulin in the equation, but may be worth a try?
I don’t find the cream and the cheese affects blood glucose - except to stop it rising. They may contain a few calories, but IF allows that. :)

Perhaps I was carbing out my entire pregnancy and now perhaps it will take sometime before I am back to my usual state. Thanks for the idea. Will try!
My insulin intake is adjusted (by my doctor’s advice) when doing fasting

Reactions: Brunneria

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 7 months Postpartum.
I was on rather High Carb diet during pregnancy because of severe hyperemesis and hospitalisation every other week till delivery. Took moderate amount of carb during breastfeeding and now as off from it I am back to LCD.

It could well be your hormones haven't quite settled back yet to their "normal" state.

Are you losing weight on your diet, and if so, could it be your liver coming into play periodically.

If your Doctor is in the loop with your fasting (in that he/she is helping you with adjusting your, have you shared your concerns with him/her?

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How low is your LC bit, ie grams of carbs, how high is your BG, and what's your fasting pattern?

I saw an interesting presentation on fasting where the doc had used CGMs on their patients. That showed cyclical peaks in BG levels until the patients were more adapted to LCHF and IF. I think activity levels can also affect it, ie the pancreas calling for more glucose. If your carb intake is low, and you're 'fat adapted*', that'll also help with fat loss.

(*my new favorite phrase!)