1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Introducing myself in Dudley DY9

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Slalom, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Slalom

Slalom Type 2 · Member

I am Type 2, and was diagnosed in 2011, My first question was diet. How do I cycle a loop C2C with a view to diet and strenuous exercise. I think the answers are why I am motivated to help people with Type 2.

I have HBA1C checked every 6 months and Cholesterol once a year. My HBA1C peaked in 2013 at 55 and then droped into the 47-50 range.
    My HBA1C 17th Nov was 50, My total Cholesterol 22nd May was 3.9.
    My BMI is now around 21 but has been as high as 23, I am not considering a Low Carbohydrate Diet

At my recent review the GP who I trust, Asked me to try to get the HBA1C down a little and said on top of the exercise so resume Metformin. But to focus on Cholesterol, 3.9% being not too high but the LDL was too close to double the less than 1% target. So back on daily Simvastatin.

As I am researching some Cholesterol lowering diet changes, he suggested February for a test. Also a base line PSA to give a basis for any necessary test later on.

Drugs:

Asprin 75mg one daily
    Simvastain 40mg one Daily
    Metformin 500mg twice Daily

I have only been taking Metformin if I felt the exercise I had done was inadequate, but back to regular.
    I have only been taking Simvastain if I had not remembered to do my experiment, but back to regular.

I Don’t know what effect these will have, but I am happy to see if the LDL and HBA1C will get better.

Exercise, Work gave me a fit bit a few years ago and I rarely fail to do 70,000 steps a week.

In 2015 on organised cycle rides or hikes or planning them I did 1890 miles cycling and 575 miles hiking. In 2016 I have already exceeded those figures

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Talk-to-someone/Type-2-Together/Dudley/

I am a Type 2 Together Peer Support Facilitator, but Type 2 Together is no longer funded and my Group is dormant, as it is an evening group, winter is a difficult time to restart/resume. Also...

We are now PSF for Diabetes UK.

With Type 2 being a potential time bomb for the population, Health Service, Treasury and the Government, and with Dudley having enough suffers to fill a large football ground, this situation is puzzling?

Feel free to contact me if you want to know more about these groups.

Rod

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Hi @Slalom and welcome to the forum :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook