Introduction Hi My name is Seamus.

maccathmhaoil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Medical persons who do not listen Heat
I am originally from Northern Ireland and now living in New Zealand. I was diagnosed with Type2 in 2007. Since being diagnosed I have been on Metformin - glipizide and Novarapid. I am also on Lantus (Slow release) 50 units at 7am and 60 units at 7pm. For the couple of years my readings are in double figures between 14 and 28. Sometimes my meter is very friendly It just says Hi.
Since November I have been dealing with a Diabetic Nurse at the Hospital and I have been taken of Glipizide. My readings have come down (still double figure but not as High). I have a couple of other Immune conditions (MG and Arthritus). On meds for MG.
It is Summer here (26 outside at the moment 6.50pm) and the MG is affected by heat.

Is Diabetes also affected by heat? My blood sugar reading this morning was 14 now its 24. I have had very little to eat today.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The heat might be one issue but that 24 reading is way too high. Why are you not eating and FARRRRR more importantly when did you test between the 14 and 24 and what did you eat between those readings? Those (couple of years) trends would bother me as well.

What is (was) your last HB1AC, what is your diet and your weight and when do you test. I'm somewhat worried this needs some quick attention. FAR too long to tolerate figures that high.

Welcome by the way

Mike :)

Reactions: 2 people

maccathmhaoil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am originally from Northern Ireland and now living in New Zealand. I was diagnosed with Type2 in 2007. Since being diagnosed I have been on Metformin - glipizide and Novarapid. I am also on Lantus (Slow release) 50 units at 7am and 60 units at 7pm. For the couple of years my readings are in double figures between 14 and 28. Sometimes my meter is very friendly It just says Hi.
Since November I have been dealing with a Diabetic Nurse at the Hospital and I have been taken of Glipizide. My readings have come down (still double figure but not as High). I have a couple of other Immune conditions (MG and Arthritus). On meds for MG.
It is Summer here (26 outside at the moment 6.50pm) and the MG is affected by heat.

Is Diabetes also affected by heat? My blood sugar reading this morning was 14 now its 24. I have had very little to eat today
The heat might be one issue but that 24 reading is way too high. Why are you not eating and FARRRRR more importantly when did you test between the 14 and 24 and what did you eat between those readings? Those (couple of years) trends would bother me as well.

What is (was) your last HB1AC, what is your diet and your weight and when do you test. I'm somewhat worried this needs some quick attention. FAR too long to tolerate figures that high.

Welcome by the way

Welcome by the way

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Just hit "post reply" ... white text green tab

maccathmhaoil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I was first diagnosed in 2007 I was put on a high dose of Meds for Myasthenia Gravis. I was on prednisone and a couple of other meds which also affected the Diabetes. The neuro at the time also referred me to the Diabetic Clinic. I was then diagnosed with type 2. I was placed under the care of my GPs nurse for the diabetes. Whenever my readings got low (below 12) the Mg would become a real issue, I usually ended up in hospital (Mg related) and my meds were increased. At the time the doctors decided that reading between 12 and 16 were what my body could tolerate. I have another appointment with the Diabetic Nurse at the Hospital on 27/1/15. I saw her prior to Xmas and she was happy with things.

As for the readings they vary always double figures( 13 Just now). I test 5 or six times a day and depending on readings I eat accordingly. For a long time I was on insulin once a day. Since October I am on Slow release Lantus twice a day and Novarapid between 12 and 18 units 4 hourly depending on my readings e.g. between 10-15 12 units - 15-20 16units. I cannot recall my last HB1AC. For years I have worked shift work and meals were not always taken due to work commitments. With the onset of MG there are several foods and Meds that I cannot have. Any meds that affect the muscles. (accounts for most antibiotics.) Basically any food with citrus or Tomatoes in them.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
When I was first diagnosed in 2007 I was put on a high dose of Meds for Myasthenia Gravis. I was on prednisone and a couple of other meds which also affected the Diabetes. The neuro at the time also referred me to the Diabetic Clinic. I was then diagnosed with type 2. I was placed under the care of my GPs nurse for the diabetes. Whenever my readings got low (below 12) the Mg would become a real issue, I usually ended up in hospital (Mg related) and my meds were increased. At the time the doctors decided that reading between 12 and 16 were what my body could tolerate. I have another appointment with the Diabetic Nurse at the Hospital on 27/1/15. I saw her prior to Xmas and she was happy with things.

As for the readings they vary always double figures( 13 Just now). I test 5 or six times a day and depending on readings I eat accordingly. For a long time I was on insulin once a day. Since October I am on Slow release Lantus twice a day and Novarapid between 12 and 18 units 4 hourly depending on my readings e.g. between 10-15 12 units - 15-20 16units. I cannot recall my last HB1AC. For years I have worked shift work and meals were not always taken due to work commitments. With the onset of MG there are several foods and Meds that I cannot have. Any meds that affect the muscles. (accounts for most antibiotics.) Basically any food with citrus or Tomatoes in them.

Thanks for that and it is WAY outta my league cos I'm just an "ordinary" T2. I'll pass this over to other members who may be prepared to offer advice as I sure can't :( Rest assured, someone will offer some opinions. I'd (we'd) still like to know your last HB1AC and an idea re diet.

Something in this equation is missing unless I'm sadly mistaken; i.e. the "I eat accordingly" needs some "flesh on the bones" notwithstanding other medical issues

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

As another type 2 I can only really say good to have on the forum!

Hopefully someone on insulin will be along to contribute. :)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is MG?

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is Diabetes also affected by heat? My blood sugar reading this morning was 14 now its 24. I have had very little to eat today.

When your meter says HI it's not being friendly, it means 'high'.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and a big welcome to the forum. All the best

RRB:)