Introduction

smvirts

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I'm 16 and my boyfriend has type 1. Eight years ago, I lost someone really close to me. They were also type 1 and when they were driving their blood sugar dropped so low that he passed out while he was driving. He was in a really bad accident and was killed on impact. Because of this, I'm constantly worrying something is going to happen to my boyfriend. I wake up in the morning scared to check my phone because I think I'm going to have a missed call or a message from his parents saying something happened. I'm a non diabetic so I don't really know what he goes through on a daily basis. He lets me change his lancet before he pricks himself and this makes me fell useful. I want to find ways to help him but I know there's not much I can do.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You have already shown a willingness to support and try to understand which is great.
Perhaps ask him how to treat a hypo if he ever needs help?
I do understand your worry but lots of us diabetics have been going for years without mishaps which bodes well for your boyfriend.

Last edited:

smvirts

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
He's shown me how to use his Glucagon if he ever needs it. As far as I know, he hasn't had any major problems. There was a period of time where everyday around lunch his sugar would be really high then there were times where he'd be in the 40s everyday. It eventually stopped so now it, for the most part, is pretty normal.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm 16 and my boyfriend has type 1. Eight years ago, I lost someone really close to me. They were also type 1 and when they were driving their blood sugar dropped so low that he passed out while he was driving. He was in a really bad accident and was killed on impact. Because of this, I'm constantly worrying something is going to happen to my boyfriend. I wake up in the morning scared to check my phone because I think I'm going to have a missed call or a message from his parents saying something happened. I'm a non diabetic so I don't really know what he goes through on a daily basis. He lets me change his lancet before he pricks himself and this makes me fell useful. I want to find ways to help him but I know there's not much I can do.

welcome here smvirts :)

I do understand your worry.. and it is so sad you have had this disaster so close to you.the only thing I can say is that if it happened that often we would hear a lot more of this kind of deaths. Yes there is a risk but most do not die from that, sooner they would die from other condition getting those over a much longer time because of bad luck or not taking care of their diabetes... I really don´t think you should be that scared like you are now, but of cause the one with the diabetes and those close to him or her must take it seriously that one can get low, and too low if not paying attension...
we can all die by accident tomorrow or the day after in theory just by falling on the stairs and hitting our head the wrong way...

when I got my daughter I tell all sounds of ambulances suddenly had a very different loud sound , and well I still do worry every time she is out in the dark night partying too of what can happen... but I have to make friends with those worries and argue with myself as it can be both anoying and very bad if I showed this overprotective side all the time and end up taking all the joy out of the life we actually have...
some dangers could be, but what is more essential is what joys we have here and now and that we do not let our fears pollute all the good times we actually do have..
actually it is also a miracle that that many children survive their childhood.. but in fact most does...

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @smvirts and Welcome to the Forum :).