Introduction :)

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my name's Rakhee. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 6 years old. I am now 22 years old and trying to remember to test my blood sugar around 5 times a day hasn't been an easy task for me, as well as calculating carbs while throwing shots into the mix of everything.

I have been on numerous types of insulin from Humulin M3, Insulatard, Actrapid to Levemir and Novorapid. I have to admit hasn't been an easy ride for me as I have never really come to terms and accepted that this is my life and I will be living with it for the rest of my life! I've always felt alone and couldn't really turn and talk to anyone as they would never know how I felt as they are not living with Type 1 Diabetes.

Until recently when I did the DAFNE course and did some more research into forums and Blogs to find that I am not the only one living with Type 1 Diabetes.

Diabetes taught me how to be independent, how to stay strong, and to stay positive even in the darkest moments.

Years or crying, yelling, exercise and change, I’ve come to accept that this could be an invitation to one of the brightest and most meaningful chapters of my life.

We can’t live our lives in regret and dwelling on the past. We can’t be paralyzed by the fear of what may never come. So, I keep on striving to look forward with hope. There’s a lot to be thankful for and continue to stay positive .

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Rakhi_gohil .. and welcome
What a wonderful, positive attitude you have .. you are a true inspiration to all of us with diabetes :happy:

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rakhi_gohil ,

Welcome to the forum!
I do get what you say. :)
Ask any question you wish to help you on your journey.

A great first post!

Reactions: Rakhi_gohil

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Rakhi_gohil just a quick hi and welcome to the forum you'll get all the help you need here good luck.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome aboard @Rakhi_gohil !

Sharing the puzzles of T1 definitely makes a difference, and you couldn't have found a better bunch of decent people to do that with!

It's interesting to see you've joined shortly after doing DAFNE. I did the same. I'd learned enough about T1 to manage it, had never really bothered looking into the subject more deeply, but after doing DAFNE, I thought I'll have a closer look at what's going on in the T1 world.

Was surprised to find all the fascinating research going on with smart insulin (switches off and on in response to glucose) and hdv (takes insulin direct to the liver), cgm etc. etc.

Like you say, it is difficult coming to terms with the fact that it is for life, but whenever I feel like that, I take a lot of comfort from the fact that there are good people out there actively researching to make it easier for us.

Since doing DAFNE, I've taken a different approach to it. Instead of viewing T1 as an enemy I'm constantly fighting, I think of it more as a wee bit of my body has stopped working, so I need to help it out. That way, it's not a fight, it's co-operation, and I know that there are sophisticated insulins and cgm out there to help me with that. It gives me a lot more peace of mind (even though hypos and hypers still make me a bit snarky!).

PS: we were handed our hba1c results confidentially at the end of DAFNE and they left it to us to decide whether to share them. That got competitive!

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome aboard @Rakhi_gohil !

Sharing the puzzles of T1 definitely makes a difference, and you couldn't have found a better bunch of decent people to do that with!

It's interesting to see you've joined shortly after doing DAFNE. I did the same. I'd learned enough about T1 to manage it, had never really bothered looking into the subject more deeply, but after doing DAFNE, I thought I'll have a closer look at what's going on in the T1 world.

Was surprised to find all the fascinating research going on with smart insulin (switches off and on in response to glucose) and hdv (takes insulin direct to the liver), cgm etc. etc.

Like you say, it is difficult coming to terms with the fact that it is for life, but whenever I feel like that, I take a lot of comfort from the fact that there are good people out there actively researching to make it easier for us.

Since doing DAFNE, I've taken a different approach to it. Instead of viewing T1 as an enemy I'm constantly fighting, I think of it more as a wee bit of my body has stopped working, so I need to help it out. That way, it's not a fight, it's co-operation, and I know that there are sophisticated insulins and cgm out there to help me with that. It gives me a lot more peace of mind (even though hypos and hypers still make me a bit snarky!).

PS: we were handed our hba1c results confidentially at the end of DAFNE and they left it to us to decide whether to share them. That got competitive!

I actually joined quite a while ago but have just built myself up to open up to others,as before i felt like i was being judged.
Its something that you don't really want to know about until times get tough,but that is a bad thing because you never actually want times to get tough with it just want a smooth ride!
It is very interesting the new products that are coming out shows how technology is advancing! Exciting things await :)

Always need good people around to push you when you feeling down and stay positive is key.

I'm glad to hear that its changed the way you do things with your Diabetes, there always going to be ups and downs but that's the beauty of it, because without it you wouldn't know what to do.

Things got very competitive in my bunch when it came to the quiz and who had the lowest BG test haha.

Reactions: ziggy_w