Introduction

Tom.thomas61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after returning home from a gruelling tour of Afghanistan in December 2009. I was a guardsmen serving with the Welsh guards from end of 2007 to 2012, when I was medically discharged because of my diabetes.
Because of the heat and constant dehydration of being out in Afghanistan, when I returned home I just kept on feeling dehydrated until I released I was still losing weight rapidly. I had already lost 2 stone being on tour, which left me at 8 stone 2, but after 2 months I was down to 6 stone 9 and got worried so went to a military medical centre. After some tests they told me I had diabetes and that I would no long be able to serve in the army.

It took me 3 years to finally leave the army but it's only recently that I have come to terms with my diabetes. I don't let it get in the way of my life what so ever.

Anyway I am Tom and I am from north wales.
Glad there is so much information on here to educate me.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after returning home from a gruelling tour of Afghanistan in December 2009. I was a guardsmen serving with the Welsh guards from end of 2007 to 2012, when I was medically discharged because of my diabetes.
Because of the heat and constant dehydration of being out in Afghanistan, when I returned home I just kept on feeling dehydrated until I released I was still losing weight rapidly. I had already lost 2 stone being on tour, which left me at 8 stone 2, but after 2 months I was down to 6 stone 9 and got worried so went to a military medical centre. After some tests they told me I had diabetes and that I would no long be able to serve in the army.

It took me 3 years to finally leave the army but it's only recently that I have come to terms with my diabetes. I don't let it get in the way of my life what so ever.

Anyway I am Tom and I am from north wales.
Glad there is so much information on here to educate me.

Welcome to the forums Tom.

I am surprised that the army couldn't find you a non front line role - but hey what do I know.

Have a good look around and ask any questions you want to - we're generally a helpful bunch.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi toms, welcome to our friendly little forum. Enjoy your stay and feel free to ask anything.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you've got a great attitude Tom, good for you.
Also the best of luck with whatever path you choose from here on.

PS Thank you for doing your bit (lot) for all of us.