Iritis /euritis

MJC1

Hi

I’m type 2 taking metformin and had my booster in November and on 18 Dec sought optician guidance as I’d had to wear sunglasses at 6pm night before and on the morning of 18 due to headlights hurting my eyes.

iritis was diagnosed (eye inflammation) and urgently referred to local eye hospital and given steroids to start immediately.

I’m told that it could be a one off or I may have an inflammatory condition which has caused the iritis but unable to confirm as it’s the first incident.

is this something connected to diabetes or is it possible that could be a covid side effect? Appreciating we know very little with regards covid yet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I’m type 2 taking metformin and had my booster in November and on 18 Dec sought optician guidance as I’d had to wear sunglasses at 6pm night before and on the morning of 18 due to headlights hurting my eyes.

iritis was diagnosed (eye inflammation) and urgently referred to local eye hospital and given steroids to start immediately.

I’m told that it could be a one off or I may have an inflammatory condition which has caused the iritis but unable to confirm as it’s the first incident.

is this something connected to diabetes or is it possible that could be a covid side effect? Appreciating we know very little with regards covid yet.
I have not seen anyone else report this here so it probably is not diabetes related but if it is it would appear to be rare. Blurry vision is a known effect of diabetes, retinopathy is also linked to diabetes. but inflammation? Not sure about that.

D

Deleted member 543160

I hope your iritis cleared up soon - it can be extremely painful to say the least!

I had chronic iritis for about ten years, well before I ever had any signs of diabetes, so for me the two were completely unrelated. However, I was using dexamethasone eye drops for all that time, and corticosteroids can affect glucose levels, so as a T2 I have since wondered if these were a partial cause of my later diabetes. but I found a reference implying that in eye drop form corticosteroids won't affect glucose levels - which I thought a bit strange. o_O On doing a quick search for you though I haven't found this information again. so maybe using such eye drops could cause a rise in glucose levels - so these rather than iritis itself might be diabetes related.

My ongoing issue was with bright lights, but due to migraines I was already using photo sensitive glasses for my eyes to be comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your iritis cleared up soon - it can be extremely painful to say the least!

I had chronic iritis for about ten years, well before I ever had any signs of diabetes, so for me the two were completely unrelated. However, I was using dexamethasone eye drops for all that time, and corticosteroids can affect glucose levels, so as a T2 I have since wondered if these were a partial cause of my later diabetes. but I found a reference implying that in eye drop form corticosteroids won't affect glucose levels - which I thought a bit strange. o_O On doing a quick search for you though I haven't found this information again. so maybe using such eye drops could cause a rise in glucose levels - so these rather than iritis itself might be diabetes related.

My ongoing issue was with bright lights, but due to migraines I was already using photo sensitive glasses for my eyes to be comfortable.
I am on eye drop steroids for non-diabetes problem and my eye surgeon assures me there is no effect on bg. I have been on them since 2010
He also states that keeping bg low will not cause future retinopathy

D

Deleted member 543160

I am on eye drop steroids for non-diabetes problem and my eye surgeon assures me there is no effect on bg. I have been on them since 2010
He also states that keeping bg low will not cause future retinopathy
Thanks for confirming that for me!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I suffered from Iritis for about 8 years and spent many hours as an emergency appointment in eye casualty and, latterly, in the eye clinic. They couldn’t identify the cause and my eye eventually stopped flaring after I was put on a regime of steroid eye drops for about 3 years.