Irritable legs at night

Bindo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
Every night I get irritable legs. I don't know if it is connected to diabetes. I'm T1 . I don't know what to do with my legs . I need to keep moving them , rubbing them and stretching them. Exercise makes no difference. . Any suggestions?

Robmoney

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I'm t2 and now suffering from the same. I'm on 2000mg met.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Restless Leg Syndrome?

Reactions: Freema

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try rubbing in wicky magic muscle bar from Lush or using a hear spray from Poundland works for me!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have restless leg syndrome. Then I was given gabapentin for carpel tunnel pain. It hasn't done anything for my carpel tunnel but the restless legs have completely gone.
Its nasty because its not really a pain as such but it keeps you awake for hours. I think some people use r_ala, but I never have. A trip to the gp might help.
Good luck with it, I know it can make trying to get to sleep pretty miserable.

Reactions: SimonCrox
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get that too... I asked that question at DAFNE course and the answer I was given was that it's not related to diabetes... My dad is t1 and he gets cramps and restless legs and he takes quinine for it.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Type 2, recently diagnosed, following a low-carb diet and have been getting leg cramps in the early morning hours lately. As a result, not sleeping very well.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I find a couple of paracetamol helpful, also moving my legs to a cooler part of the bed. I've had it for years, comes and goes. I asked the nurse about it some time ago - and she'd never heard of it. I thought she would certainly know about it if she experienced it.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Muscle cramps can be caused by thirst - common among us diabetics, especially on the more exotic types of medications:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/unusual-signs-of-dehydration/

Restless legs is a different thing to cramps and can be caused by a great many different things, including all kinds of medication (diabetes related or otherwise), stress and anxiety, more or less exercise than usual... the list is endless. But it's a frustrating condition and can very quickly become distressing - I completely sympathise having suffered with it for 3 months a few years ago.

For me, it was medication-related, and the symptoms subsided as soon (literally the same day) as I stopped taking the particular medication in question (Tamsulosin). The best advice - given that we don't know you, your lifestyle, your stresses and possible other conditions and medications - is to keep a diary of when it happens and how long for and get to your GP.

It's a miserable thing to go through, though. I used to find a brisk walk and then a super-hot, quick bath (and cooling down rapidly) would settle the legs briefly while making me super-sleepy in a blink.

Good luck,

Sock x

Reactions: RAPS_od
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, it does sound like, Restless leg syndrome, RLS. I have had it for many years and also get it in my arms too. I am prescribed Ropinirole for the day time and before bed, I couldn't do without Ropinirole, so please don't suffer, go and see your gp as there is help out there. Take care

Reactions: RAPS_od

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Restless Leg Syndrome?

My wife gets it.. (Or "flappy fish".) Non D, no meds whatsoever..

Haven't noticed it for a while. Neither does she? I feel with her it's more stress manifested..? She's a "swan." Calm on the top paddling like mad below the surface.. (Literally.) Job related stress. She started a new one a few months back, which she loves!
Hence my earlier comment about not noticing RLS for a while? (The correlation.)

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My wife gets it.. (Or "flappy fish".) Non D, no meds whatsoever..

Haven't noticed it for a while. Neither does she? I feel with her it's more stress manifested..? She's a "swan." Calm on the top paddling like mad below the surface.. (Literally.) Job related stress. She started a new one a few months back, which she loves!
Hence my earlier comment about not noticing RLS for a while? (The correlation.)

And yet there are those who still maintain that stress has little physiological effect on the body.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And yet there are those who still maintain that stress has little physiological effect on the body.

I don't hold with that.. With me for instance, I get a skin condition on my shins? Quit the stressful situation (usually a job.) Then move on & it clears up... ;) (I love work.)
In one extreme case. I got "stage fright" driving to work? As well as an extreme shin (lower leg.) condition. I've also played in many bands. (Would say a little temporary "stress" is good makes me feel alive?) consistent bombardment of stress is not healthy... (Mentally or physically.)

Reactions: Guzzler

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I use voltarol rubbed in at night and two paracetmol, that seems to help.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
Hi all
Every night I get irritable legs. I don't know if it is connected to diabetes. I'm T1 . I don't know what to do with my legs . I need to keep moving them , rubbing them and stretching them. Exercise makes no difference. . Any suggestions?
I have MS as well as T1 diabetes. I have Irritable Leg Syndrome for years. My MS consultant gave Ropinirol. I couldn't sleep without it. I don't know what causes it, but I think it something to do with the nervous system.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm Type 2, recently diagnosed, following a low-carb diet and have been getting leg cramps in the early morning hours lately. As a result, not sleeping very well.
Try a little more salt in your diet and remember to hydrate. This is important when first starting LCHF (if that is your approach to lowering your bg. If not - ignore).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Restless legs can be helped by drinking tonic water it has the known to have equine in hope thus helps

Shaun Wooler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been T1 for 43 years and had restless leg syndrome for about 7 years, I've been prescribed Ropinirole tablets, the medication is for Parkinson's Disease which I don't have but works wonders for restless leg syndrome, I take 2 at night, hope that helps.