Is 3.7 a good reading?

starrystel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality Shows
OK I checked today, im a bit hung over and havent eaten for 18 hours, I usually have 10 cans on Friday and same on Saturday with a small amount of food, my blood sugar is 3.7 nmol. I'll have beer today as well. Is it a good reading considering I havent eaten? How does beer or alcahol effect blood sugar?

Is 3.7 good or low?
It may be just a bit low but I'm sure as soon as you eat it will go up. You sound like my other half drinking and not eating, its not good for you

Reactions: 2 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you check several times with your meter you'll see it varies quite a bit - several percent- so the 'true' reading may be higher. Alcohol drives down blood sugars, hence the (old?) advice about eating with drinks if T1. I remember in my youth feeling faint and shaky after a hard night. Low blood sugar may well have played a part. I'd certainly feel better once I could face and eat some food. Your anxiety is best managed by throwing away the meter and being a little more careful with the alcohol; it's great for relieving anxiety whilst in your system but has depressant and anxiety provoking effects once out again - a bit like speed leaving one even more drained the next day!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am regularly 3.7, and sometimes a little lower, with absolutely no problems whatsoever. My liver comes into play at 3.4, by my reckoning, and I have never taken steps to raise the reading. The only exception would be if I am extremely hungry with that sort of number I might have a cup of tea to feel more comfortable, but I prefer to exercise my liver, and encourage it to work as a non- diabetic persons would.

Clearly, this would be potentially irresponsible in a T1, or anyone taking certain meds, but for me, I believe it to be the correct approach.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I am enjoying a nice glass of red wine right now. But, I have to appreciate that if I have much more, it will confuse my body and I won't feel well tomorrow. The body literally deals with alcohol as a poison, honestly that is true and it also triggers oestrogen in the body, which is not great new for a guy. I would not be worried about a 3.7 but I would think without the alcohol you might not be that, you'd probably be above 4. and certainly any more alcohol or not eating you would be low enough to start taking action.
have a good weekend.