Is alcohol OK.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm going to a Christmas dinner on Friday night.

Is a small glass of wine safe to take.

I'm on 3 x 500 mg metformin a day and my BG is stable within the normal range.

Thanks.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to a Christmas dinner on Friday night.

Is a small glass of wine safe to take.

I'm on 3 x 500 mg metformin a day and my BG is stable within the normal range.

Thanks.
I'm in the same situation. It does say on the leaflet not to drink alcohol but I personally sometimes have a small glass of red wine which seems to reduce BG a little.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Inchindown I was advised by my DN that I could drink alcohol but in moderation ''don't get drunk'' and to eat food beforehand and something carby afterwards to slow down the drop when the sugar in the drink wares off. She advised me to steer clear of beers and alcopops and drink something like spirit with a sugar-free mixer or a dry wine rather than a sweet one. Recently on a night out I found that gin and tonic wasn't a bad choice though I drank pints of iced water in between each gin. This being said I take insulin and not metformin to control my sugars. Hope this helps.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was on Metformin I drank wine with little noticeable ill effects. There is less sugar in Red wine - if you do Gin and Tonic obviously go for slimline tonic but ensure it is sugar free. The fancy Fever Tree light still contains 8g of carbs per bottle - Schweppes slimline tonic has no carbs.

Take it easy and you will be fine!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have not had a problem with alcohol while taking metformin red wine or dry white wine don't hurt BG levels much spirits don't have much in the way of carbs if any so alcohol in moderation I have been ok with I stay clear of beers too carby.

Reactions: Inchindown

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed, my GP was keen to let me know that some Alcohol was OK. Beer to be avoided, Red wine is fine. BUT all in moderation of course.

D

Deleted member 308541

I drink a mid strength (3.5%) low carb beer (1 x 375 ml stubby contains 7.1 grams carbs) called XXXX Gold.

There are lower carb beers made in Australia but they smell and most probably taste like tom cat urine.

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Presumably cider is preferable to beer from the carbs point of view.