Is anyone taking Invokana (canagliflozin)? If so, how has it affected you - if at all. Thanks

LH-W

Hello all. My Metformin isn't seeming to do anything to help me and so the diabetic nurse has suggested adding Invokana (canagliflozin). The side effects of kidney damage and heart attacks seems rather scary. I have to tell her tomorrow if I want to start taking it and was hoping some of you could tell me if YOU are and how it does or doesn't affect you. Thanks for any advice offered.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not taking Invokana, so can’t comment directly. However, what I would say us don’t feel pressured into making a decision until you’ve understood all the options available to you.

Have you made any dietary changes alongside the metformin, for example, or have you explored other options with the nurse?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, long walks in the countryside
Hi! I take 100mg of Invokana a day. It took me a couple months to decide whether or not I wanted to take it. So far (9 months on from popping the first pill) no trouble at all, but I will admit that some of those listed side effects do look scary. Do you eat low carb? When I was first diagnosed I jumped straight onto the Keto diet and had some pretty good results but I found out that SGLT2 inhibitors like Invokana don't mix well with a Keto diet so have since upped my carbs to a moderate (below 100g a day) amount.

Hydration is key if you do decide to go for it. Up your water intake as you'll be peeing lots, although I've noticed that it's eased off over time. But don't let them rush you into making a decision. Your body, your choice.