Is cautious optimism appropriate?

TuTusweet

After I was told by my slap dash GP "I think you have got diabetes" I decided to change my diet to lose weight and defeat diabetes. I lost 45 pounds until it stabilized. Since November 2013 when I was told my morning tests have slowly improved. It has been a very steady trend downwards.
I've just checked back and since the start of October last year until today I've tested my BG on waking 26 times. Every Saturday and 8 other times out of curiosity. The highest was 5.8 the lowest 4.9 and the average was 5.3.
In early September 2016 my A1c was 5.7 (Hospital Lab).
On 4 December I had Sunday Lunch in a restaurant-- including potatoes in garlic cream Yorkshire puddings and Carrot cake with ice cream. (It was Christmas after all) After 2 hours my BG was 6.2 which I thought was within limits.
I have no intention of starting on potato, bread, cake, rice, pasta, pastry, puddings chocs or sweets ---all of which have been strictly controlled .
Questions. Do you think I can start to refer to diabetes in the past tense now? Is it too soon to stop being terrified by the drug companies' stories of blindness and feet dropping off?