VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on what you mean and what type of diabetes you are talking about.

In relation to type 2 diabetes I believe that by reducing your carb intake you can keep your blood sugar levels in the normal range often without any medication possibly other than metformin.

Will you ever be able to eat a 'normal' level of carbs. I think that in most cases the answer is no. You may be able to increase your carb intake over time but my opinion is that you will always have to limit your carbs.

Reactions: Andydragon

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Diabetes Really Reversible?
As @VashtiB has said it depends on what you mean - I have had non diabetic levels for approx 8 years and eat about 130g carbs per day so count myself as in remission. Would I like to eat more carbs and test the theory to see if I can eat even more carbs - yes because I used to enjoy rice and pasta however, would I like to take the risk of my hba1c going into diabetic levels again - no so I will probably stick to my current way of eating. I do occasionally eat some high carb food such as meringues and cakes and I even tried dates again - all of which didn’t affect my BS too much but it’s very much a one off occurrence and my taste buds have changed so I find some foods too sweet anyway.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Diabetes Really Reversible?
Currently with medical science I think for type 2, it’s semantics... You can hold it in bay, remission if you like that terminology by changing diet, losing weight etc (those 2 seem to go hand in hand in many ways). Keeping it controlled longer term needs lifelong changes though. Increase carbs to too high a level and/or pile on the weight and it comes back. I am still very new, I went from diabetic to non diabetic levels and can maintain a lower amount of carbs. In the future my tolerance may get weaker, I don’t rule out drugs but am hopeful it can be lifelong.

Is it reversed... well maybe, it’s there in the background waiting for me to fall back to the old ways, and I will continue to need annual reviews as who knows what a decade of it will have done to me

type 1 no cure yet, pancreas transplant has happened to some but has its own set of problems and issues. Not something I know a lot about so can’t say it is a cure. It’s also not something a person can reverse themselves so may be a bit of a stretch to say reversed

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume you are referring to Type 2 diabetes but that is not clear in the subject, the title, tags or sub-topic and there are multiple types of diabetes.
Type 1 , LADA and MODY, for example, are NOT reversible.

Last edited: