Is everyone's target levels the same. ?..

Awsparx

Hi

New to the world of diabetes and just wondered if every individual is the same when it comes to normal glucose levels ?

My nurse has given me a target of 4-7 where 4 is the floor but around 6 I am feeling a bit "fuzzy" to be honest..

I feel a lot better around 8-9 is this my normal ?

Fairly new to it all so it may just be my body adjusting to the new diet or may be addicted to sugar ?..

Mike..

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

New to the world of diabetes and just wondered if every individual is the same when it comes to normal glucose levels ?

My nurse has given me a target of 4-7 where 4 is the floor but around 6 I am feeling a bit "fuzzy" to be honest..

Fairly new to it all so it may just be my body adjusting to the new diet or may be addicted to sugar ?..

Mike..
Hello and welcome, I believe the guidance is supposed to be somewhat customised to the individual for one thing it can be different between the different types of diabetes but I believe the NHS can also give slightly more relaxed levels for those who are older or on different drugs to reduce hypo risk.(Not saying the age thing is right or wrong, just a typical NHS blanket approach at times)

For type 2 the levels suggested look reasonable and yes, your body is used to higher levels, there is a thing called a false hypo where you can feel slightly odd as your body is craving the old normal

it should improve though.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Mike..
Are you type 1 or type 2?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with @Andydragon that what you may be experiencing is a false hypo. For me as a type 2 on no medication I won't get a hypo so I try to keep my levels as low as possible. This is different for those on medications.

Reactions: Awsparx

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4-7 is what I aim for..
If your new to low carbing you may get all sort of funny sensations as the sugar flees your body. I had blurry eyes, odd skin sensations and more BUT as you are on medication do keep an eye on the side effects that may, or may not, come with those. Read the packets.

Reactions: Awsparx