Is it a good idea to increase Metformin without the GPs consent?

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My job was made redundant this week. The stress I've been under over the last few days has sent by BG way up. Fasting 11. It'll be ages before I get a doctors appointment do you think it a good idea to increase my dose of Metformin?

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't maybe you could just speak with somebody. I am sorry to hear your news it happened to me so I understand how stressful it is. Things do have a habit of working out. Good luck. X

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't maybe you could just speak with somebody. I am sorry to hear your news it happened to me so I understand how stressful it is. Things do have a habit of working out. Good luck. X

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Thanks. I hope so. Sounds like you've been there too. Things obviously worked out for you. Trying to stay positive.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Does your doctor have a diabetes nurse in his/her practice? They can often give guidance with these issues over the phone.

Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not really a good idea to alter meds without consulting a GO,could you ask for a telephone consultation ? ,or maybe ask to speak to the DN
CAROL

Reactions: 8 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@SuzyMo - Sorry to read that about the redundancy. Worry and Stress releases Cortisol into the blood which elevates blood sugar. Drink more water as it helps to flush out your system and stabilize glucose in the bloodstream. :)

Reactions: 6 people

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@SuzyMo - Sorry to read that about the redundancy. Worry and Stress releases Cortisol into the blood which elevates blood sugar. Drink more water as it helps to flush out your system and stabilize glucose in the bloodstream. :)

Yes thank you I'll give that a try.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your position I'd rather go for long walks than up the metformin. Walking reduces stress and lowers BG. At least that is what I did in a similar situation. Clears the head too.

Reactions: 10 people

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also a good idea. Definitely need my head cleared at the moment and if it brings the BG down even better.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also a good idea. Definitely need my head cleared at the moment and if it brings the BG down even better.

I think the walking suggestion is a good one, for the reasons suggested.

It sounds like you may have been surprised by your current situation, and if that's the case, it's very natural to feel stressed and as you do when you've had an unwanted "surprise". To be honest, aside from keeping your eating, drinking and if you can, your sleeping in the right places, I'd not do anything too drastic, too quickly. Metformin takes a while to build up it's efficiency and if you were to have a grumpy tummy frpm the higher dose, that's unlikely to help with your overall feelings of wellbeing.

Having managed a group of folks through a redundancy situation (I knew a long time in advance it was going to happen), I was astonished how rapidly most folks mood turned around from shock, bewilderment and anger in some, to getting their act together to find themselves new jobs. In fact a couple of people I am still loosely in contact with have said it was probably a good thing as they now realise they'd been in a rut, and some even came out financially significantly better off, bizarrely.

Let the dust settle, and start planning the job hunt. Once you have a plan, things seem so much better.

I wish you well.

Reactions: 6 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I concur with the walking/exercise idea.

From my entirely unscientific experience I found my BG baseline jumped about 0.5 mmol when I stopped taking Metformin, but dropped back by the same amount when I began regularly walking 7 or 8 miles daily.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello SuzyMo, sorry to hear of your news. There's some good advice given here by the others, which I can't add to right now.

Just wanted to wish you well, and I hope the future becomes clearer for you very soon. :)

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so very much for your help,support and good wishes. I'm sure things will turn around once I've formulated a plan. I'm due to go off for a short break next week in the country and will certainly be able to do a lot of walking. In spite of the Metformin the BG was 13.9 fasting this morning which isn't great. Things will be absolutely fine once I get my head around it. Thanks again for all your help. Suzy. X

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
In spite of the Metformin the BG was 13.9 fasting this morning which isn't great. Things will be absolutely fine once I get my head around it. Thanks again for all your help. Suzy. X

Sorry to hear about your job. Keep thinking that when one door closes another door opens, it always does.
As for Metformin, don't forget that it's not like increasing insulin or something like Gliclazide or Januvia. Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose produced and released by the liver, and by increasing insulin sensitivity.

Exercise in general can make a big difference.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your job. Keep thinking that when one door closes another door opens, it always does.
As for Metformin, don't forget that it's not like increasing insulin or something like Gliclazide or Januvia. Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose produced and released by the liver, and by increasing insulin sensitivity.

Exercise in general can make a big difference.

Thank you David. Things are slowly improving. Starting to focus. X

Reactions: 5 people