Is it good for T2s to eat wholemeal bread.

wiseone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching a programme on TV where a Doctor lived with a family to sort out their health/lifestyle. The Mum of the family was diagnosed type 2 being over weight and the doctor found a loaf of wholemeal bread and said that 2 slices of such will spike your blood the same as a snicker bar and you shouldn't eat it. I was told to change from white to brown in all starches (bread, pasta,rice). Was he right and are we misinformed?

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching a programme on TV where a Doctor lived with a family to sort out their health/lifestyle. The Mum of the family was diagnosed type 2 being over weight and the doctor found a loaf of wholemeal bread and said that 2 slices of such will spike your blood the same as a snicker bar and you shouldn't eat it. I was told to change from white to brown in all starches (bread, pasta,rice). Was he right and are we misinformed?
Some can tolerate various low carb breads but generally it is to be avoided. Lidl do a high protein low carb roll that many can eat with little effect...there are links on the forum about them. Livilife bread and also soya and linseed Burgen bread are slightly less carb laden and some can eat them without too much of a spike. Trial and error and testing your bg before and after eating will help tell you what effect various foods have on your bg. A lot of what that doctor said was perfectly correct as the results showed :) Have a browse round the forum and you will find out all you need to know and come back with any questions...always someone here to help

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor was right. Bread, pasta, rice, cereals, potatoes, anything made with flour, are all liable to raise BS levels, whatever the colour. All carbohydrates convert to glucose once inside the system, and glucose in the system is not good for diabetics. The wholemeal versions have just as many carbs in them, they just take a bit longer to digest. Well done that doctor for telling the family this. Not many doctors do.

You may be lucky, you may be able to eat the odd slice here and there as part of a meal without doing any damage, but unless you use a glucose meter to test before and after you eat it, you will never know what it does to your body in particular. We all react differently.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread doesn't offer a ton of nutritional value aside from being quick energy (carbs) and it's certainly not essential for survival. It's with that in mind that I say bread isn't "Good" for you, for diabetics, or really for anyone.

Is bread bad for you? That's a different question entirely. Too much bread is bad for anyone, yes. As a diabetic, even some bread may be bad for you. There are T2 diabetics who can eat some bread and T2 diabetics who can't touch it at all. Each person is different. It's largely about whether or not your blood glucose levels can recover from the spike in a reasonable amount of time.

From a nutritional standpoint, I'd take the Snickers bar over the bread any day of the week. The Snickers bar at least has some protein and it's just a big ball of carbs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may well do as it's still high in carbs, and so is definitely best avoided too. Brown versions of starchy white foods tend to be less processed and have more fibre, so may slow down any spikes. But you should test to find out how much these foods will spike you - we all have our own individual reactions to starch and sugars.

I prefer to avoid bread, etc in all their brown and white forms and look for healthier low carb alternatives if I feel the need.

Robbity