Is it just me?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
if you don’t really love the foods you eat, will you stick with it? I tried the low carb thing, but within a week was sick of cheese and eggs ( I’m vegetarian). We’re all different - some can eat cheese everyday and be happy. Me, not at all. So, what do you like, and what of that works for you?

I like beans, a lot of them, lentils, fruit and seed/nuts. These work for me.
This is it. I like meat and always have, but the low carb can make one get fed up with meat, as there are many foods that we cannot eat. I also love my veg and pulses, as I said in my previous post I have tried a small portion of kidney beans and made roast peppers, Celery Cucumber Tomato and kidney bean salad in a bowl with a home made dressing. I was in heaven lol. I tested for the kidney beans an hour after, then again an hour after that. My BS only went up from 5.6. to 5.9 so I was happy with that. I will have to try some lentils and see if that is ok for me, as I love lentils. I used to love green lentils with salmon in a lemon and herb dressing.

Reactions: Serena51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
if you don’t really love the foods you eat, will you stick with it? I tried the low carb thing, but within a week was sick of cheese and eggs ( I’m vegetarian). We’re all different - some can eat cheese everyday and be happy. Me, not at all. So, what do you like, and what of that works for you?

I like beans, a lot of them, lentils, fruit and seed/nuts. These work for me.
Yes I will certainly stick with the low carb food, as I don't want to ruin what I have achieved. I have been doing Low Carb for 3 years now.

M

Member496333

Word to the wise; it's not advisable to get too comfortable with measured reactions to a potentially problematic food and then assume it's ok. In time, new glucose build-up in the system can rear its ugly head in short order. Definitely keep your eye on the ball. One of the most common errors in managing type 2 is complacency after initially promising results. What is ok now might not be ok in six months if you continue to eat it. This is, after all, the precise mechanism that leads to issues in the first instance. The ability to process carbohydrate may have vastly improved, but it will never be better than it was before you became diabetic.

EDIT: sorry, cross-posted with above :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not into the almond or coconut flour myself at all. I just won't even use it, the fibre really causes issues for me. I guess it could be a case of how long you've been low carbing for. The longer I went, the more I actually got used to eating similar things and enjoyed it, but we are all different when it comes to food. And by then I'd identified all the foods that caused problems. I don't care for the chocolate, cakes or desserts either. Dessert for me is greek yoghurt, with walnuts tossed in and home made berry flavoured jelly. That's the extent of dessert for me or I don't bother with it...lol

If you can find things you really like and can get away with it, then great... that's a bonus. ;)
Same here. Many recipes call for all those above, and the amount of cheese in Keto recipes actually sickens me. Don't get me wrong I love cheese and cheese actually lowers my BSL's, but some recipes to me just go over board. I have done the fathead sausage rolls, which is nice, but all that cheese to make the dough does not sit well with me. Twice in 3 years of low carb eating I have made these, so deffo not over board for me lol. Pancakes, cakes, bread..all made with the same ingredients that you named above. I have Greek Yogurt with some berries and nuts, but have gone of that for a while. I will grab a handful of berries just to get some fruit. I think that my problem is, I used to have a variety of foods before Low Carb. I never ate rubbish foods, but all the low fat foods that I ate thinking I was doing myself good, lead me to Pre-diabetic levels. I never hardly ate cakes, sweets, deserts, but I ate a lot of low fat yogurts and all fruits etc..Loved my Couscous, Brown rice, Bulgur wheat and grains. Like many, I thought that I was eating a very healthy diet. Still maybe this is just a phase. Last night I made vegi burgers with spices. I really enjoyed those. I had pickled red cabbage on the side, with green beans. I think maybe we all have a burn out from time to time.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hemmed in and restricted more like. But I have kind of got used to it. I have tried making home made low carb versions of popular foods but my skills aren’t great so home cooked versions have faltered. I made a keto pizza the other night. It looked the part but the texture of the base (almond flour) was a little odd.
Yes and it does not help when we go out for a meal. I have meat and veg, or a mixed grill, leaving out hash browns, baked beans etc. This can get monotonous. I think to myself. "I can do better at home" when we can only have just limited plain food, I feel its a waste of money for such simple meals. I never complain to hubby as I feel that would not be fair, but inside I think " I wish that I could have something else to eat" I wish restaurants would cater more for us. I get annoyed that everything is Vegan Which is high in carbs quite often" I look at the vegetable burgers, which is a change from meat, but at 20 carb a burger is a no go for me. Don't get me wrong, it is good for Vegans, and if they cannot stand the thought of eating meat, I can understand that, but we are not catered for at all. America seem to have many more keto products than we do. I refuse to spend on Amazon at their prices. You would think that a few would open a few Keto restaurants, I think that they would make a killing.

Reactions: Speedbird

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@derry60 , what are the foods you would like to eat? Maybe thinking about those could be of help in finding new foods that are appealing to you.
Believe me there are no new foods that I don't know about which allows me to eat. I even scan the supermarkets online to see if there is anything different. I cook many variety of foods as my BS's allow. We are restricted. Many recipes contain Almond flour, Coconut flour, and lots of cheese. No matter what I do not feel good eating to much of these foods. They are nuts and Coconut flour is not that low in carb, love cheese but many recipes have to much cheese in. So many recipes with the same ingredients in. I feel these foods in combination is calorific. Same ingredients different recipes type of thing. To much dairy in many of the recipes. I love to cook and am always thinking of different foods to cook. Maybe I am going through a phase

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got really fed up with chicken and eggs a few weeks ago and was struggling to eat enough low carb protein meals as I don't eat lamb or beef. Bacon is OK but I don't like to eat a lot unless I can get nitrate free bacon. So I'd open the fridge, look at the options and want to give up.
But I'm determined to stay low carb to avoid my blood sugars creeping back up.

I had a look round for ideas and found a recipe for a prawn and mushroom risotto (a headbangers video) - cooked enough for two meals and it was delicious. Maybe a search of other keto/low carb sites will give you some interesting ideas?

And I've been mixing a few lentils into curry with a little chicken - higher carbs than just chicken but not too bad.
I also sometimes just make a low carb mug cake when I can't be bothered - one egg, with coconut flour, sweetener and flavourings. Microwave for 60 secs and serve with cream. (Coconut flour can feel dry in the mouth so you could swap half of it to a smaller amount of ground almonds.)
Apart from that I've just been stirring grated cheese into a pile of green vegs, and having greek yogurt after.

I'm sure that after a short break I'll love chicken again - I've been off it temporarily before!