Type 2 Is it meds or carbs

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hope I'm in the right place to get this question answered, I did post yesterday about carbs and got some invaluable help but I am a bit flummoxed by my BS numbers , when my diabetic nurse was showing me how to use a meter on Wednesday she tested my blood and it was 21.4 I had eaten an hour before but it scared the bejesus out of me, she changed my meds to a new tablet one 5mg onglyza and upped my slow release metformin from 750 mg to 1000g, the next morning my BS was 17 I ate no obvious carbs all day and last night my BS was 9.5 , now that seems a massive drop to me was it the tablets or having no carbs does that seem right to you, this morning my BS was 13 and before lunch was 12.4 , I am keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks till I see the nurse again, but I am wary of the numbers coming down to fast...... can they come down to fast and could it be the meds or is it very few carbs, I do hope this makes sense, thank you

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi hope I'm in the right place to get this question answered, I did post yesterday about carbs and got some invaluable help but I am a bit flummoxed by my BS numbers , when my diabetic nurse was showing me how to use a meter on Wednesday she tested my blood and it was 21.4 I had eaten an hour before but it scared the bejesus out of me, she changed my meds to a new tablet one 5mg onglyza and upped my slow release metformin from 750 mg to 1000g, the next morning my BS was 17 I ate no obvious carbs all day and last night my BS was 9.5 , now that seems a massive drop to me was it the tablets or having no carbs does that seem right to you, this morning my BS was 13 and before lunch was 12.4 , I am keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks till I see the nurse again, but I am wary of the numbers coming down to fast...... can they come down to fast and could it be the meds or is it very few carbs, I do hope this makes sense, thank you
Hi @chefdee While none of us could answer that question for sure, it has been my experience that when I started "low carbing" my blood sugar levels dropped by around 5 points within a few days and that was while taking the lowest dose of gliclizide (only 1x40mg per day). That does rather suggest that it was the low carb diet which lowered my BG levels and not the medication which I'd been taking for some weeks without that effect. Hope this helps, other people may have had different experiences

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can only guess that it was the low-carbing. What is your BMI, BTW?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The basic theory of eating a low carbohydrate diet for diabetes, is that you are removing foods which become glucose in the body. You lower your blood glucose by not eating things which make it high.

If you don't have so much blood glucose in the body, your insulin levels drop, which allows you to lose weight. Without insulin we would all die, as we wouldn't be able to retain any body fat.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for responding, I'm learning very quickly by regular blood testing what not to eat, I've also read dozens of post on these forums, I have to see my diabetic nurse on the 17th November, so am keeping a food diary and I have discovered in just 3 days that for me wholemeal rolls are a bad idea, it's one big learning curve

Reactions: 2 people