cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I got switched to a biosimilar insulin.
I was wondering if it doesn't work for me?
And/or the biosimilar basal insulin.
I have read that they don't work for everyone.
Is it possible that's why the drastically high blood sugar numbers?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you eat on a typical day. The only way to know if it’s working for you is to test your BG before you eat and the again 2 hours after your 1st mouthful.

Reactions: cdpm

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
@cdpm can you remind me of the names of the two insulins you are taking? And did your blood sugar issues start when you changed to the biosimilar? How high are your bgs?

(My apologies for all the questions)

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What do you eat on a typical day. The only way to know if it’s working for you is to test your BG before you eat and the again 2 hours after your 1st mouthful.
Right now until I'm done them (the nd) I drink nutritional drinks and have a little soup.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@cdpm can you remind me of the names of the two insulins you are taking? And did your blood sugar issues start when you changed to the biosimilar? How high are your bgs?

(My apologies for all the questions)
I'm on trurapi and basaglar.
I suspect the insulin change to the I mentioned. Because it seems suddenly so much higher.
I'm not sure what the numbers were because seeing them bother me. But looking back in my notes I had been achieving 8s.
Now 8 to 11. Random and fasting.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm on trurapi and basaglar.
OK so trurapi is the biosimilar and is your fast acting. Basaglar is the long acting.

According to google, trurapi is a biosimilar to novorapid but not an interchangeable biosimilar, so it might be very slightly different? (Or more accurately it's not guaranteed to be exactly the same).

In your position, if you think your levels have gone up, I'd talk to my team about adjusting my doses. As a long term T1 (using insulin for over half a century) I do regularly modify my doses, and though I have to be careful what I say as I'm not T2, it wouldn't surprise me if your needs changed over time too.

But please don't feel that there is any blame or feel guilt over your levels if they are not what you want them to be. Insulin dosing can be hard to get right and it is not your fault if your doses aren't right for you