Is It Time to Treat Sugar Like Smoking?

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's a good step. People don't think sugar as bad, my dad who is a full blown diabetic and on meta morphine a day believes one should eat every thing even sugar. He believes there is no harm in eating it sometimes.
People are not much aware of it. I have seen people offering their one year old kids cakes and cold drinks in the name of treat.
If this gets implemented atleast children will be spared.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar?

Consider the number of new T2s who come to the forum and say "I've given up sugar on cereals and in my tea/coffee." only to be told that sugar is trivial compared to the amount of carbohydrates in the diet, and that carbohydrates turn to sugar in the body.

So banning sugar is just an easy knee jerk political move which picks something easy to ban through legislation but doesn't tackle the real issue.

How good is "no added sugar" white bread for you?

Mr. Picky also says that banning sugar is a smokescreen anyway because of the amount of sugar in fresh natural produce. Ban fruit? Ban honey?

The real issue is the reliance of the population of the whole world on cheap bulk carbohydrates for survival.

Wheat, rice, potatoes are staple crops which provide cheap mass produced energy, and allow the support of a massive population which is continually growing.

I can see that a cheap source of fat and protein would be needed to reduce the reliance on carbohydrates but this would also have to be available to subsistence level farmers in 3rd world countries.

So taxing added sugar is just a political way of claiming that a problem is solved when it isn't.
Totally agree with you, but it is not at all feasible for all the population to have good amount of fat and meat available.
Just look at the standards of meat in India where I am from, it is full of antibiotics and hormones. This is when 20-30% population is vegetarian and doesn't even eat meat.
If you reduce the cost of fat, quality will go down as well. We have seen it happening with grains. We have all GMO grains now, this how we are able to produce it more. If it was not for GMO half of the population would have died of starvation.
I think I read in one of the forums that USA government is planning to introduce GMO salmon, you will get fat then at cheap rate, but the question is at what cost?
We humans have accumulated so many problems and no solution for any.

D

Deleted member 308541

Just look at the standards of meat in India where I am from, it is full of antibiotics and hormones. This is when 20-30% population is vegetarian and doesn't even eat meat.
The Indian government have put $1 billion in subsidies in to the countries sugar industry, so they do not have any concerns about sugar by the looks of it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...alia-at-wto-against-india-over-sugar/10854590https://trademinister.gov.au/releases/Pages/2018/sb_mr_181116.aspx

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
I think it's a good step. People don't think sugar as bad, my dad who is a full blown diabetic and on meta morphine a day believes one should eat every thing even sugar. He believes there is no harm in eating it sometimes.
People are not much aware of it. I have seen people offering their one year old kids cakes and cold drinks in the name of treat.
If this gets implemented atleast children will be spared.
You think denying chikdren cake and treats is good? You have no right to expect parents of children other than yours to do as you say.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You think denying chikdren cake and treats is good? You have no right to expect parents of children other than yours to do as you say.
Define 'treat'.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not so much as denying, and more regulating and reducing. I do that now, i.e. try and limit the amount of cake and treats she has to a sensible level.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Totally agree with you, but it is not at all feasible for all the population to have good amount of fat and meat available.
If you reduce the cost of fat, quality will go down as well. We have seen it happening with grains. We have all GMO grains now, this how we are able to produce it more. If it was not for GMO half of the population would have died of starvation.
I think I read in one of the forums that USA government is planning to introduce GMO salmon, you will get fat then at cheap rate, but the question is at what cost?
We humans have accumulated so many problems and no solution for any.

This is the point I was trying to make.
Banning added sugar from first world treats is sadly largely irrelevant because the big driver for obesity is the availability of cheap bulk processed carbohydrates.

Much of the world relies on these carbohydrates for basic survival.

Unless/until there is a viable alternative, which can be produced as cheaply as carbohydrate staples with subsistence level farming, no amount of taxation and other virtue signalling is going to make a major difference.

I am not sure that there is any research which shows that drinking Coke Zero with your Ginsters or MacDonalds makes a massive difference to the general level of obesity.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think denying children cake full of sugar and white flour is good.
What right government has to put age limits on consumption of alcohol or cigarettes? It is harmful, acknowledged
by everyone and therefore every country has law for it.
For the likes of you, I frankly don't care if you don't understand the context I am talking in.
Anyone can offer any amount of cake to their children. We are just offering our opinion here, please don't take it personally. I am not stopping your kid to have chocolate or cake. It is totally on your intellect.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Indian government have put $1 billion in subsidies in to the countries sugar industry, so they do not have any concerns about sugar by the looks of it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...alia-at-wto-against-india-over-sugar/10854590https://trademinister.gov.au/releases/Pages/2018/sb_mr_181116.aspx
I don't expect anything from Indian government atleast in health department. Also India has kind of complex systems. Government is vegetarianism oriented hence they promote it as well.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No we shouldn't treat sugar like tobacco. We should educate that processed foods with a long list of chemical ingredients are not healthy and aren't really food at all, just food substitutes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is debatable whether sugar is a food at all. It is 100% carbohydrate with no nutritional value whatsoever. It is said by some that if sugar had been invented very recently it would at best be given the label 'Additive'.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst the smoking ban and packaging laws helped keep cigarettes from the sight of kids whilst on the shelf, does anyone think it truly got people to stop or from forming the habit?

I wouldn't say truly so (beyond the some who will have) or else the market would have burnt up and the brands and varieties would be almost disappearing from sale completely. No market, no sales, no product.

Habits like this can be partly environment based, picked up from those we spend time with.

It's been effective at sweeping the problem under the carpet. It's still there, it's just not obviously visible now.

To be fair, as one who stopped smoking in the 90s when it just started to become less socially acceptable, the possibility of a future ban did give me additional motivation to stop (chronic bronchitis wasn't enough for this incorrigible addict) partly because I'm obstreperous enough to want it to be my choice not to smoke rather than someone else telling me I can't! And partly because I agreed with a ban in principle, to say nothing of double standards in government, happy to take in revenues but starting to permit scare stories about smokers being held accountable for health issues and possibly refused treatment if not giving up.

A similar less-socially-acceptable approach would maybe help me reduce my sugar intake, but so far that addiction has proved orders of magnitude greater than nicotine, for me. Smoking was easy to stop by comparison, and cravings for nicotine have never returned.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Defo not!!! I would have no cheap way to bring me out of a hypo. :bag::bag:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Defo not!!! I would have no cheap way to bring me out of a hypo. :bag::bag:

Very true @porl69 :)
Sugar has been around for centuries and was used as a preservative. At the end of the day, we as human beings, should take stock our lives. and be accountable for what we put into our bodies, especially parents with their children.
Plain packets won't help; an example, cigarettes are hidden away, cost a fortune nearly £10.00 I believe, but I still see many children smoking when I am out and about :(

Food preservation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Food preservation prevents the growth of microorganisms (such as yeasts), or other microorganisms (although some methods work by introducing benign bacteria or fungi to the food), as well as slowing the oxidation of fats that cause rancidity. Food preservation may also include processes that inhibit visual deterioration, such as the enzymatic browningreaction in apples after they are cut during food preparation.

Many processes designed to preserve food involve more than one food preservation method. Preserving fruit by turning it into jam, for example, involves boiling (to reduce the fruit’s moisture content and to kill bacteria, etc.), sugaring (to prevent their re-growth) and sealing within an airtight jar (to prevent recontamination). Some traditional methods of preserving food have been shown to have a lower energy input and carbon footprint, when compared to modern methods.[1]

Some methods of food preservation are known to create carcinogens. In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization classified processed meat, i.e. meat that has undergone salting, curing, fermenting, and smoking, as "carcinogenic to humans".[2][3][4]

Maintaining or creating nutritional value, texture and flavor is an important aspect of food preservation.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sugar has been around for centuries and was used as a preservative. At the end of the day, we as human beings, should take stock our lives. and be accountable for what we put into our bodies, especially parents with their children.
Plain packets won't help; an example, cigarettes are hidden away, cost a fortune nearly £10.00 I believe, but I still see many children smoking when I am out and about :(

Food preservation

Food preservation prevents the growth of microorganisms (such as yeasts), or other microorganisms (although some methods work by introducing benign bacteria or fungi to the food), as well as slowing the oxidation of fats that cause rancidity. Food preservation may also include processes that inhibit visual deterioration, such as the enzymatic browningreaction in apples after they are cut during food preparation.

Many processes designed to preserve food involve more than one food preservation method. Preserving fruit by turning it into jam, for example, involves boiling (to reduce the fruit’s moisture content and to kill bacteria, etc.), sugaring (to prevent their re-growth) and sealing within an airtight jar (to prevent recontamination). Some traditional methods of preserving food have been shown to have a lower energy input and carbon footprint, when compared to modern methods.[1]

Some methods of food preservation are known to create carcinogens. In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization classified processed meat, i.e. meat that has undergone salting, curing, fermenting, and smoking, as "carcinogenic to humans".[2][3][4]

Maintaining or creating nutritional value, texture and flavor is an important aspect of food preservation.
So your argument for eating a non nutrient is that is a preservative?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Food preservation

Yup it has been a great preservative over the generations.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Something needs to be done though. I am sure there is a middle way.