is it worth changing to a pump?

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
my mother has a pump and swears by it, i use pens, is there an advantage to the pump other than ? no injections, ie is the insulin better? easier to control? is it easy to get one?

many thanks 'a considerer'

Hazza

Hi Ewan, I don't want you to think that we are ignoring you :D .
As for pumping, it is not for everyone. Some people find it easier to stick with the needles (pun intended :D ). The insulin you use in a pump is the same as in the needles but you have very fine control over it. It pumps background insulin in every 3 minutes to achieve good control and the same insulin is used for boluses. We use novo rapid (not sure what others use but this seems to be common). You don't need to use 2 different types as one does it all. Most people find it very liberating being on a pump even though you wear it 24/7. It can be disconnected for short periods.
It can be quite difficult to get funding for a pump, depending on where you live. Some authorities are better than others, but it doesn't hurt to as about the possibility and if you meet the criteria.
Pumps are a lot more work especially at first but it does become almost second nature. We have only been pumping for 2 months and already it is paying dividends.
Speak to your nurse or doctor about it and take it from there. Ask for brochures and info and give it some thought before deciding.
Good luck.

Harry