Is Lantus safe???

Rachel1608

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! I’m thinking about trying for a baby later on in the year and I take a Lantus Injection every morning and evening. I’ve heard that Lantus hasn’t been tested on pregnancies before and I was wondering if anyone has had a baby safely on Lantus or not???

D

Deleted Account

I could not say absolutely. However, Lantus is a relatively old insulin: it is old enough that its patent has expired which is why some people are being offered generic equivalents.
Therefore, I would be incredibly surprised if it has not be tested on pregnancies.

Good luck with your baby planning

Reactions: Rachel1608

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey I have two kiddos a 8 year old and nearly 1 year old and Iv had both of them on lantus I’m type one
No problems with both xx

SallyEzra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I took Lantus during my first pregnancy & whilst I have a lovely little boy to show for it, Lantus was not a good insulin choice for me whilst pregnant or not pregnant. I was transferred onto it 2 months prior to pregnancy & for the first time in my adult life I suffered uncontrollable hypos, no matter what intervention action taken.....splitting the dosage, reducing the dosage well below any other basal in my adult life, etc. It took until post pregnancy & for me to invest in a private diabetic consultant & freestyle libre to prove that it simply was not a safe insulin choice for me.

Due to my hypos, I was induced early at 35wks, because my son had not been growing quite as expected, but he was OK despite a bit of jaundice & weighed 5lb. He just turned 3 in the past couple of weeks & is a physically healthy boy.

If however you have been OK on Lantus since taking it, this is the most important indicator of how your body responds & how it is likely to respond in pregnancy. As I said, in the 2 months I used Lantus pre-pregnancy the issue for me was already evident. Now I have an insulin pump with Novorapid insulin which, as far as I am concerned is, very much tried & tested as I have taken it most of my adult life.

I am pregnant again at the moment & an insulin pump with Novorapid has made this pregnancy so far much more manageable for me.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! I’m thinking about trying for a baby later on in the year and I take a Lantus Injection every morning and evening. I’ve heard that Lantus hasn’t been tested on pregnancies before and I was wondering if anyone has had a baby safely on Lantus or not???

I am trying to conceive and have been told come off Lantus and switch to Levemir to reduce hypos x