1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is Lantus safe???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Rachel1608, May 10, 2018.

1. Rachel1608

Rachel1608 Type 1 · Member

Hello everyone! I’m thinking about trying for a baby later on in the year and I take a Lantus Injection every morning and evening. I’ve heard that Lantus hasn’t been tested on pregnancies before and I was wondering if anyone has had a baby safely on Lantus or not???

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I could not say absolutely. However, Lantus is a relatively old insulin: it is old enough that its patent has expired which is why some people are being offered generic equivalents.
    Therefore, I would be incredibly surprised if it has not be tested on pregnancies.

Good luck with your baby planning

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tilly_S

Tilly_S Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey I have two kiddos a 8 year old and nearly 1 year old and Iv had both of them on lantus I’m type one
    No problems with both xx

• Like Like x 1
  4. SallyEzra

SallyEzra Type 1 · Active Member

Hi, I took Lantus during my first pregnancy & whilst I have a lovely little boy to show for it, Lantus was not a good insulin choice for me whilst pregnant or not pregnant. I was transferred onto it 2 months prior to pregnancy & for the first time in my adult life I suffered uncontrollable hypos, no matter what intervention action taken.....splitting the dosage, reducing the dosage well below any other basal in my adult life, etc. It took until post pregnancy & for me to invest in a private diabetic consultant & freestyle libre to prove that it simply was not a safe insulin choice for me.

Due to my hypos, I was induced early at 35wks, because my son had not been growing quite as expected, but he was OK despite a bit of jaundice & weighed 5lb. He just turned 3 in the past couple of weeks & is a physically healthy boy.

If however you have been OK on Lantus since taking it, this is the most important indicator of how your body responds & how it is likely to respond in pregnancy. As I said, in the 2 months I used Lantus pre-pregnancy the issue for me was already evident. Now I have an insulin pump with Novorapid insulin which, as far as I am concerned is, very much tried & tested as I have taken it most of my adult life.

I am pregnant again at the moment & an insulin pump with Novorapid has made this pregnancy so far much more manageable for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am trying to conceive and have been told come off Lantus and switch to Levemir to reduce hypos x

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook