Is Libre a Good Idea?

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hopefully not the case but have you checked your phone against the list of devices that are approved to 'work' with the LibreLink app? My handset has NFC but I can't download it from the Play Store because it claims it's incompatible. Worth checking before purchasing just a sensor :)

The app is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.librelink.app
Thanks @db89.
Looks like it's compatible!
Thanks for the link you're too kind!

xoxox

Reactions: db89

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good to see you're giving it a go, @**shell**

A few tips you won't find in the manual:

First, you'll be keen to get it up and running as soon as you get it, but most of us find we get better results if we apply the sensor (i.e. pushing it onto your arm with the applicator) then wait, say, 12, 24 hours, sometimes longer before activating it (i.e starting it up by scanning with the app). The reason is that applying it causes a little localised micro-trauma with the insertion needle jabbing in and out, so you then get repair cells coming along to fix that and also defence cells coming along to try and repel the invading sensor (sounds worse than it is - it's all at a microscopic level, no pain) and those mechanisms chew up glucose so it can give insanely low readings if you activate immediately after applying. You'd generally be getting unreliable results the first day that way, so most of us find it's better to delay activating for 12/24 hours so as to save writing off the first day. Gives the localised damage a chance to settle down.

Second, most people, even if they've not got hairy arms, do still have a bit of fine hair or peach fuzz on their skin, and that never helps the sensor stick on for the 14 days. So, it's usually a good idea to shave the back of the arm, wash, and use the alcohol swabs which come with the pack just to give it the best chance of sticking for the duration. Mine's have always been ok, but some people have had real problems with them falling off.

Third, DOOR JAMBS! You'd be surprised by the number of people who've inadvertently clipped one and lost it on door frames, corners, car doors, taking rucksacks on and off etc. etc. I lost an early one that way and realised that I'd put it kind of on the side of my arm, which made it a bit more prone to snagging, so make sure it's right at the back of your arm, it shields it a bit more. Also, sticking a 7 x 8 cm plaster lightly over it smooths out the edges a bit to save snagging, and helps a bit with any adhesiveness issues.

Best of luck!