Type 2 Is my toe about to drop off?

nannoo_bird

Good morning everyone. I have a PN question. I have had PN for a number of years, but I do take very good care of my feet. A few days ago I noticed that my second toe nail had turned brown, and as I do suffer from slight fungal problems in my toes (under control with my chiropodist) I started treating it, as with the big toes, with tea tree oil. I noticed in the shower this morning that the toe had turned a strange colour, and on inspection, the skin has become soft and bumpy. The underside is normal. I am a natural worrier - do I watch it for a few days and see what happens, or do I run screaming in a panic to the doctor? (Please see attached photo). Thank you.

Attachments

• toe.jpg
    toe.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 222

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@nannoo_bird it's great that you're so on the ball and have noticed the change in your toe - I would absolutely say that to wait and see would not be a great plan, and I would seek treatment and reassurance from your GP as soon as possible.

Hope all is well. Do keep us posted.

xxx

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

nannoo_bird

Back from the chiropodist. Apparently, it is a "caustic" reaction to tea tree oil !!! I use tea tree oil to keep fungal nail infections at bay, and had rubbed some on that toe, and it reacted. She said the thinking is now that tea tree oil can be too harsh for some people - she recommended rubbing Vicks into the nails instead! My little pinky is now swaddled in an iodine bandage. Thank you all. xx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have always used tea tree oil on spots with no problem but I recommend it to someone and they had a reaction to it much like your toe .When I read the label on a new bottle it said not to use neat onto the skin I must have a hide like an elephant !! Now I mix with lavender oil to be on the safe side
CAROL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Back from the chiropodist. Apparently, it is a "caustic" reaction to tea tree oil !!! I use tea tree oil to keep fungal nail infections at bay, and had rubbed some on that toe, and it reacted. She said the thinking is now that tea tree oil can be too harsh for some people - she recommended rubbing Vicks into the nails instead! My little pinky is now swaddled in an iodine bandage. Thank you all. xx

Wishing you and your little pinky a full recovery, take care :)

D

Deleted member 308541

I use tea tree oil to keep fungal nail infections at bay, and had rubbed some on that toe, and it reacted. She said the thinking is now that tea tree oil can be too harsh for some people
Tea Tree Oil gave me a reaction like that on my toes after painting my toe nails with it. The rash is a form of dermatitis according to the GP I had a couple of years ago.