Is St Johns Wort safe

shellyk

Hi all, just a quick question. My daughter is really suffering badly with anxiety at the mo, been building up for a little while but seems everything is getting on top of her. she has a lot on her plate at the minute work school, exams and applying fro uni. Diabetes wise she is really well controlled, she has been pumping since Christmas and her Hba1c has settled down to around 49. however she stresses about every single high reading and the long term consequences to her health. I try to reassure that things are well under control but doesn't seem to help. it has got to the point that she is virtually having a panic attack if she is put in the situation of having to eat outside of the house as she cant be sure of what's in a meal to carb count. we saw her consultant today who was sympathetic and suggested speaking to her school liaison person which we will give a go.

I have been reading about so0me of the benefits of St johns wort for anxiety and depression, but I struggling to find pit about its safety for T1s, I know there is a problem with interactions with metformin but this not an issue for us

would gratefully receive your thoughts on this and any other advice you have, its heart breaking watching her suffer so much

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
St Johns wort is actually prescribed in Germany as an anti-depressant and has been safe for years. Put it this way its much safer than medical stuff. It shouldn't be taken long term though.
Its apparently not so good for type 2's tho.
Before going down the tablet route, have a Google at 'mindfulness'. You can get an app for it too. Its meant to be more beneficial than CBT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi shelly,

It must be heartbreaking for you to see your daughter in such a state regarding her diabetes.

Before you consider St Johns Wort, which can produce side effects for some, and has a list of other medications and conditions that may cause a reaction, have you considered talking therapies?
DUK have compiled a checklist for diabetics which includes emotional and psychological support. Your G.P. would be able to refer her.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=St. Johns wort

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Guide to diabetes/15-healthcare-essentials-checklist-0913.pdf

Take care,

CC.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My four penneth is this.. Professional counselling.. Your GP can refer your daughter for this..
I'm assuming your daughter hasn't got an account on this forum... (A little research on your profile kind of indicates this.)
It's your 16 year old daughter's diabetes & it maybe more empowering for her if she personally enquired & corresponded with other diabetics her own age group..

Wishing her the best of luck.!