Is stopping medication advisable?

Tealily

Hello,

It has been 5 months since my diagnosis and I've been on two medications so far. Started off with Gliclazide 80mg. Earlier this month, was changed to Metformin 500mg.

My last H1ac1 taken a month back was 6.1. I am on a strict LCHF and I would like to discuss the possibility of stopping my meds with my doctor.

So far, my BS levels are in the low 6s. The only thing worrying me is my FBS which is always the highest of the day in the upper 7s. I've read about the dawn phenomenon, liver dumping etc and I've yet to find a way to keep it lower.

I am not sure if requesting to stop my meds now is premature and that I might jeopardize my condition later.

Amy advise is much appreciated. Thank you.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't advise you to stop meds, but there is no reason why you shouldn't ask your doctor's opinion. Personally, I would like to see levels in the 5's, rather than 6's before stopping, not that Metformin has much of a reputation for bringing down sugar levels.

What do you eat on your "strict LCHF" diet? Maybe your diet just needs a tiny tweak to get you that little bit lower.
Sally

Tealily

What do you eat on your "strict LCHF" diet? Maybe your diet just needs a tiny tweak to get you that little bit lower.
Sally

My apologies for the late reply. I seem to have trouble accessing the forum since yesterday.

I eat a lot of healthy fat! Olive oil, butter, fatty cuts of meat, skin-on chicken, bacon (yum!!), above ground veggies, basically everything on the LCHF guideline. I drink my coffee with two tablespoons of coconut oil.

My BS used to be lower while on Gliclazide but due to hypos, I was given Metformin instead. I do realize that Metformin seems lacking in helping lower my BS as much as Gliclazide.

My next appointment is a month away so I will bring this up with my doc. I think I might be too impatient to get off meds.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like your diet is fine, just watch for "carb-creep" and keep on going.
Sally

ps. forum not working for me later on yesterday.

Reactions: Tealily

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one can advise you to stop your meds other than your GP.

Personally, with your current BS levels and a fasting level in the 7s I would not be in any rush. You are still seeing diabetic levels rather than the desired non-diabetic levels. Metformin doesn't help with post meal spikes, but it can help to some extent with morning fasting levels as it helps to reduce the amount of glucose the liver sends out. Also, if you have weight to lose still, it may help with that.

Tealily

Thanks! @sally and james

@Bluetit1802 , I am still seeing higher FBS which really puzzles me to no end. I have been loosing weight, actually a little too much, too fast. I was 165cm and 60kg starting out and now down to 55kg. With Metformin, I read that it act as an appetite suppressant which I find to be quite true. And that is really not helping much in retaining my weight. Sometimes, really at loss at what is going on.....

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! @sally and james

@Bluetit1802 , I am still seeing higher FBS which really puzzles me to no end. I have been loosing weight, actually a little too much, too fast. I was 165cm and 60kg starting out and now down to 55kg. With Metformin, I read that it act as an appetite suppressant which I find to be quite true. And that is really not helping much in retaining my weight. Sometimes, really at loss at what is going on.....

You are the same height and weight as I am, give or take a bit. All I did when I reached this weight was increase my fats from protein sources (eggs and cheese mainly) plus a glass of red every evening. It was trial and error but I got there in the end. This was me, though. You may be different.

What levels are you when you go to bed?
Have you tried any different methods of reducing your morning levels?
If some mornings they are better than others, have you looked back at all the food from the previous day and compared it to the food from the previous day when you had really bad FBG?
Have you tried fasting at all? Some people find this helps.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far, my BS levels are in the low 6s. The only thing worrying me is my FBS which is always the highest of the day in the upper 7s. I've read about the dawn phenomenon, liver dumping etc and I've yet to find a way to keep it lower.

I found that skipping dinners or having very light dinner improves my fasting glucose levels consistently.

Tealily

@Bluetit1802 , thanks for the suggestions. I will keep a close watch to see any emerging pattern that contributes to my higher FBS. I haven't tried fasting consciously since I tend to skip meals when I am not hungry.

@kokhongw , thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently suspended metformin, purely to find out what impact it had on my BG's
The answer, FOR ME, is 0.4mmol. Not much if your BG is high, but once you are tantalisingly close, it's a noticable difference.
Talk to your HCP first, but if it is something you really want to do, be prepared for resistance from them