Type 2 Is that change in temperature can affect blood sugar levels

Aurelien_1009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello everybody,
I was diagnosed about 6 months. My fasting BG always was 4s - 5s and my BS 2 hours after meal was 5s - 8s.
About a month ago, in a warmer weather, it's very hot weather in my country (41 degree, I live in Asian).
I was often very hot and sweaty when I woke up in every morning, I noticed my fasting BG became higher than usual. It became 6s and so on in recent weeks even though I tried to reduce the carbs and increase exercise. Is that hot temperature change can affect BG?
Thank you alot,

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everybody,
I was diagnosed about 6 months. My fasting BG always was 4s - 5s and my BS 2 hours after meal was 5s - 8s.
About a month ago, in a warmer weather, it's very hot weather in my country (41 degree, I live in Asian).
I was often very hot and sweaty when I woke up in every morning, I noticed my fasting BG became higher than usual. It became 6s and so on in recent weeks even though I tried to reduce the carbs and increase exercise. Is that hot temperature change can affect BG?
Thank you alot,

Hello there Aurelien - Personally, I find my blood sugar numbers can be even better in warmer weather.

The exception to that would be where I allow myself to become dehydrated. If I become dehydrated, my blood sugars will rise, and I will often feel tired.

I recently spent a couple of months in SE Asia, with temperatures regularly creeping towards 40 (35-39 most days), and had be best ever HbA1c whilst there. That could have been coincidence, but it isn't the first time this has happened to me when in the Tropics.

Please make sure you are drinking enough. 40+c is hot by anyone's terms, and even if you are not obviously perspiring, you can become dehydrated.

(p.s. - some people do report they don't do quite so well in the heat, so there will be other views.)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Each strip has an enzyme, usually glucose oxidase, in it which is dehydrated, and it then gets rehydrated by the blood sample and chemically reacts with the glucose to give off electrons which are measured for the reading.

As it's a chemical reaction, temperature, humidity and altitude can all affect meter readings.

There is a possibility that your bg is the same but readings taken in different environmental conditions will differ because of the heat and humidity.

Also, heat tends to influence capillary blood flow, the capillaries widen, and that can influence things too.

This article covers all the things which can throw a wobbly:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769957/