IS THE FLU JAB WORTH HAVING?

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
I am seeing my DN and doc on thursday so will book one myself....having had flu in the past and nearly losing my hearing because of it that last post has now persuaded me

griswolds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i always have had mine, went to book this years yesterday and was told there was no more appointments left :shock: so i couldnt have one :shock: after some "questions were asked" they took my phone number and said they would get back to me, still waiting tho.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That's disgraceful! Your health Centre should know how many eligible patients it has for the flu vaccine. If they don't, they need someone to sort out their database. You should be able to get the jab at a time convenient to you, not necessarily Saturday morning. I have a younger asthmatic friend, who works Saturday Mornings, who is having to push for this service, but it's what she was advised to do by a practice nurse from another Health Centre. There'd be a much bigger problem if all the diabetics, asthmatics, very elderly folk and heart patients got flu and a proportion of them died ( which they would)
The 1918 Spanish Flu killed more people than WW1. Many of those were youg and healthy.
We have not many more anti-viral medicines now than then.

jopar

9 years ago both dad and I had flu even though we had our jabs... Must admit mine laid me up in bed for a week, but took weeks befoer I fully recovered but dad who was 81 then... He was very scarly ill and in bed for several weeks and didn't really recover for months in fact that was at the point that my dad went form a very active 81 who spent all day gardening his, next door and the church yard cycled everywhere around several villages, to a old man that toddled aroudn since....

I only have a flu jab if my doctor surgery catches me....

sugar2

I have had my jab every year...and haven't had flu. I am hoping that it is a "nothing to lose"situation. It didn't hurt, and won't (hopefully!) do me any harm, so the worst that can happen is that I get flu anyway and I will have wasted half an hour. Too many other things to worry about to be honest. Interesting though.

caitycakes

Hi all,

Had my flu jab yesterday. Was cowering at the thought as I hate needles :oops: . Never felt a thing. So far only the injection site is very slightly tender. No "dead arm", no change in BG levels. Feeling completely normal. Have to go next week for pnuemovac. Hope my reaction to this is the same as the flu one. I have had flu twice in my life. It was horrendous. Doesn't bear thinking about what it would do to me now (with diabetes).

caitycakes x

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
Booked in for the flu and pneumonia jabs on 14th November :( I hate needles

martinbuchan

Had mine for the last 5 years or so. Always Felt fine intil last weeks one. 4 dayts later felt terrible with mini-flu. Took 4 days to get over it. Really sore thigh muscles. Stumbled in bathroom cracked my toes of the edge of the door. No pain due to neuroparty but little toe at an angle- dislocated the MTP joint. Damnation- that was my better foot too. Being very careful with it and wearing double socks at night to contain it in the right position. Needs six weeks for the ruptured soft tissues to get scarred up.

ChocFish

Ouch Marty I can feel this for you, I hope you can heal quickly.

Tell is your neuropathy responding to treatment at all, is there any improvement there?

Love

Karen

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I had the flu jab Wednesday and have a sore arm with a bit of a stiff neck now. I managed to get a cancellation while I was off work for a couple of days so consider myself lucky. Otherwise it would have either been take time off work or book an appointment with the doctor, have to have another health problem to eb able to do this too, or go without. Considering the doctors close at 5.30pm and I don't get home till 6pm at the earliest it would have meant more time off work!! whatever happened to surgeries opening up later at night....even if only 1 night a week for us workers!! :?

howsitgoing

Worth having I suppose! of course there is a great chance that you will get the flu queuing up in the surgery with everybody coughing and spluttering and telling everybody how they are at risk because the are diabetic....gawd!!!!!
Watch out for the pensioners with sticks they can give you a nasty crack if you try to jump the Que in their opinion.
So to sum up it's far dangerous getting the jab than getting the flu.

Keep smiling!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I know what you mean about the pensioners. They push in front of you for everything and then glare at you when you say something. They seem to think it's their right to podge queues. then they whine and whinge about the younger generation not waiting their turn!!! :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Whoa there! I'm a pensioner and never pushed in front of anyone in my life. I'm very well mannered.
My mum now that's a different matter. She pushes in wherever she feels like it and tell all those waiting that she's 90. Mind you! I'm sure I remember her being like that at 50.
Hana

gillyh

Dislikes
You must be the exception to the norm than?! :lol:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hey lay off the pensioners, you may be one someday, I say may because some of the Senior Citizens reading this might have very big STICKS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Soon to be Senior Citizen
Graham

howsitgoing said:
Worth having I suppose! of course there is a great chance that you will get the flu queuing up in the surgery with everybody coughing and spluttering and telling everybody how they are at risk because the are diabetic....gawd!!!!!
Watch out for the pensioners with sticks they can give you a nasty crack if you try to jump the Que in their opinion.
So to sum up it's far dangerous getting the jab than getting the flu.

Keep smiling!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Trust me...you get worse injuries from zimmer frames!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :(

martinbuchan

ChocFish said:
Ouch Marty I can feel this for you, I hope you can heal quickly.

Tell is your neuropathy responding to treatment at all, is there any improvement there?

Love

Karen

Nah, neuropathy no better unfortunately.

Toe is doing well. Charcot foot is better (ie no worse and swelling/temperature better).

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
had flu several years ago, spent most of the time in bed not being hungry, thermal pj's 4 season sleeping bag, winter weight duvet, fur blanket on top and still felt cold... lost a few stone

do not want to repeat it, so get regular flu jabs, mine is next week :)

Trinkwasser

martinbuchan said:
Had mine for the last 5 years or so. Always Felt fine intil last weeks one. 4 dayts later felt terrible with mini-flu. Took 4 days to get over it. Really sore thigh muscles. Stumbled in bathroom cracked my toes of the edge of the door. No pain due to neuroparty but little toe at an angle- dislocated the MTP joint. Damnation- that was my better foot too. Being very careful with it and wearing double socks at night to contain it in the right position. Needs six weeks for the ruptured soft tissues to get scarred up.

If you emit EXACTLY the right swear words at the right time it might jump back into its socket on its own (BTDT)

sympathies