Is the very low calorie shake approach to type 2 promoting ultra processed foods?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I was having an interesting conversation with a friend on the way into work this morning and thought I’d share it here.

On the basis that ultra processed and processed foods are bad for you - is the low calorie shake approach to type 2 diabetes promoting ultra processed foods? Things like Counterweight, Slim Fast etc.

It seems no-ones thought to mention this! In my opinion it is probably not ideal but wondered what others thought.

Reactions: Caeseji

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well its certainly not a "real food" approach.
I'd not even define it as "food".

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
All to do with marketing I guess, in Australia hospitals are contracted to have dieticians push Sustagen shakes as a healthy meal replacement. However, they are also used for many other reasons in hospitals. Sustagen is a high carb drink, one drink of unflavoured sustagen contains 39g of carbs, per serve which ends up being a 200ml drink. Ingredients include corn syrup solids and of course sugar galore, plus a host of vitamins and minerals.

If you market something it needs a catchy name, like, Slimming world, total solution plan, Slimfast, or cambridge 121 plan. It's a bit unappealing and hard to sell something if you called it "Starvation shake" or "Extreme Starvaton diet." or perhaps, Nutrient deficient diet. All of these market approaches revolve around shakes.... not sure if that promotes junk food shakes or not. Maybe there is a similar look to them and a Mcdonalds shake full of glucose and fat?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As this approach is intended to be a temporary treatment perhaps it is about simplicity and standardisation rather than promotion?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It has been mentioned on the forum in the past and I myself have called these shakes "the ultimate processed food".

Reactions: Tophat1900