1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Is there a best time to test for Ketones?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Flora123, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I recently bought a meter as I’m doing Keto. Really just my curiosity of making sure in on track. What is the best time to test? Thanks.

2. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wish I knew! I generally test in the evening, after I've finished eating for the day. But I have never seen anything submitted about the 'best' time.
    I hope someone can contribute a sensible, scientific reply.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I'd tend to agree with Brian on this.

I use to test in the evening when I was initially using "wee strips" but when I got my Ketonix breathalyser I could and sometimes did do random tests before/after meals,but generally checked first thing in the morning when I did my "wake up" blood test, but they tended to be convenient rather than "best" times.

However, you may well get other indications too - e.g. ketone (acetone/pear drop flavour) breath, clear head - no more brain fog!!, weight loss, plenty of energy, lack of hunger .... If you go down to 20-25g carbs a day for two weeks (according to Atkins ) you should end up in ketosis anyway.. If not sooner! And you may also suffer a little from keto/Atkins/low carb "flu" (check Google!) for a short time while your body learns to (re)adapt to using fats rather than carbs for your main energy source. So learn to"listen" to your body. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Grandson though not diabetic is following a keto diet he uses urine strips and tends to test mid day or evening.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

As with all testing I’d suggest just being consistent so you can spot trends. I use a ketone meter and test once a week shortly after getting up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test fasting, once per week on a Sunday morning. Just for curiosity’s sake more than anything - if I weren’t burning ketones for fuel I’d have died a long time ago :D

It’s also important to understand that you shouldn’t go chasing after bigger numbers. Measuring ketones only tells you that which your body currently isn’t using. As you become better adapted to burning fat as your primary metabolic pathway, your cells will become more efficient at using ketone bodies for fuel in lieu of glucose, and the numbers will often get lower when this happens. After a while, if ketones drop alongside glucose then that is optimal.

For reference I almost always test at ~3mmol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ponchu

Ponchu · Well-Known Member

Anyone use GKI?

8. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it's one of the measures I calculate, aiming for 1.8. Unfortunately, my ketones have been fairly low recently, about 1.0, probably because I am using all the ketones up for energy, especially when measured at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim. I’m currently showing 0.7 but never seem to get beyond that despite being around 20g carbs pd. I’ve had less than that today but still showing 0.6.

10. Ponchu

Hashtag me too

With 20 grams of carbs daily or less, I can run from .3 to .8 routinely.

GKI can show “out of Ketosis” too. (Above 9)

Whole Foods; no hidden sugars.

This morning fasting 9.67 GKI with .05 with BG of 4.8

With mojo ketone meter, I’d prefer weekly testing but seller dates the strips to expire. I’m not likely to repurchase.

#10 Ponchu, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Looking at my usual levels.. anywhere between 0.5 and 1.5 and those I've seen on this 70 hour fast it depends on eating..but my own experience then counter acts this as when I test in the morning I usually get lower numbers than in the evening..
    I tend to test mid afternoon and got better numbers on my beef only OMAD regime than on anything else 2's rather than ones.. bt I was of course only eating in the evening so these numbers had included a longer than usual fasting period.
    I'm not sure it really matters.. If you have ketones you are in ketosis so long as I see some then I'm happy. The less you eat the more they'll be around in the blood for fuel so I'm guessing that's why fasting makes them go up?
    Not sure that helps much...!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ponchu

It does & thank you

The two uses I would like is

1. Weekly testing (can’t due to time sensitive expensive strips)

2. Occasional concern (hopefully quite rare) eating something I shouldn’t have or something I was uncertain about.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook