1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is there a faster acting insulin than novo rapid?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by KazV1, Apr 18, 2015.

1. KazV1

KazV1 · Active Member

2. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

yes there is a couple of new ultra rapid out, i don't know if it's in the UK yet but one is a powder.

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

In the Balance magazine last year they were saying that Novo Nordisk were bringing out an ultra-fast insulin late 2015, it said it could be taken just before or after eating and as it had a shorter profile it reduced the chances of postprandial hypo's, have a look on Google and see if you can find anything.

4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Last time I checked it was still undergoing UK clinical trials. According to Bernstein, Humalog has a quicker action than NovoRapid.

5. amar1921

amar1921 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apidra maybe ? But it has very short duration

6. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Apidra is supposed to be slightly quicker in onset but I really don't find it that fast. Similarly, it can still be hanging around 4-5 hours after my meal.

7. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

From the doctors that I have chatted with, its thought that Apidra has a slightly faster onset but its duration is about 4hrs. Novorapid has a slightly slower onset and its duration is about 4 to 5hrs. Humalog is a bit like Apidra.

8. ivm18

ivm18 Parent · Well-Known Member

hi, my son is on MDI apidra/lantus.
    His endo told us that apidra has a bit faster onset than novo rapid and with the duration lasted for 3-4 hrs. my son usually take his shot in the middle of his meal.like 10 mins after he starts eating. and so far it works for him, his BG range from 4.7 to 7.2.

• Like Like x 4
  9. HaroldC

HaroldC · Well-Known Member

Novo and a couple of other companies are developing "ultra-rapid" human analogs. Novo is the closest to release and is hoped for then end of this year. I'm looking forward to this a great deal, but I do have some concerns about some of the techniques they're using to do this, and whether they have long-term implications for damage to insulin absorption sites. But then, I'll have to trust the experts, after all, I'm just an inquisitive electronics engineer.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook