Is there a too low BG?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I know that type 2 non medicated diabetics don’t hypo. I’ve read up on false hypos which seems to be when people have slightly elevated readings as standard and then drop to lower, albeit normal levels and so it’s a shock to the body so to speak.
For a bit of reference normal for me is under 6.0 at all times of day. My last Hba1c was 32, I’m under 5.0 for FBG 99% of the time and spend most of my time between 4.0 - 5.5. So my base levels are very ‘normal’
However over the last couple of weeks I have had two ‘episodes’ where from nowhere, no warning, very suddenly and very painful I get a headache. The sort of headache where it feels someone’s bashed me over the head with a hammer. Upon testing on both occasions my levels were 3.1 and 3.4. No other symptoms. No shakes, sweating, confusion etc just the headache. This happened once before several weeks ago during a fast so I put the low levels down to fasting and stopped. The last two occasions I’m not fasting so can’t blame that. After checking my blood I eat something and within half an hour headache is gone and levels back up over 4.0.
I guess my question is, is there a level where even non medicated people should be concerned? Am I fine at those levels and it’s a form of false hypo?
Sorry for the long post - wanted to give as mich info as possible :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I know that type 2 non medicated diabetics don’t hypo. I’ve read up on false hypos which seems to be when people have slightly elevated readings as standard and then drop to lower, albeit normal levels and so it’s a shock to the body so to speak.
For a bit of reference normal for me is under 6.0 at all times of day. My last Hba1c was 32, I’m under 5.0 for FBG 99% of the time and spend most of my time between 4.0 - 5.5. So my base levels are very ‘normal’
However over the last couple of weeks I have had two ‘episodes’ where from nowhere, no warning, very suddenly and very painful I get a headache. The sort of headache where it feels someone’s bashed me over the head with a hammer. Upon testing on both occasions my levels were 3.1 and 3.4. No other symptoms. No shakes, sweating, confusion etc just the headache. This happened once before several weeks ago during a fast so I put the low levels down to fasting and stopped. The last two occasions I’m not fasting so can’t blame that. After checking my blood I eat something and within half an hour headache is gone and levels back up over 4.0.
I guess my question is, is there a level where even non medicated people should be concerned? Am I fine at those levels and it’s a form of false hypo?
Sorry for the long post - wanted to give as mich info as possible :)

Hiya. I haven’t encountered this problem - even on the occasion I dropped to 2.9. However I think you’re dealing with it the right way - if you feel off and BG is low, eat. As you’re not medicated or using insulin any normal low carb food is fine - no need for sugar/carbs.

Might be worth checking with your doc that there’s nothing else going on.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. I haven’t encountered this problem - even on the occasion I dropped to 2.9. However I think you’re dealing with it the right way - if you feel off and BG is low, eat. As you’re not medicated or using insulin any normal low carb food is fine - no need for sugar/carbs.

Might be worth checking with your doc that there’s nothing else going on.
Yes I will thank you. I’ve got my next bloods next week and then docs appointment the week after to discuss so will bring it up then. I half expect a response of - well if you ate a ‘balanced diet with carbs’ you wouldn’t go so low :rolleyes: But will see what he says. I guess I’m just a little frustrated at now being conscious of low levels when all I’ve had to focus on is avoiding highs and after reassurance that I’m not going to just collapse and to chill out :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Emma_369 - I'm in the 3s regularly. I need fancy were I to have a day when I didn't go there, I'd be concerned or a bit off colour. It's just how I run these days. I know about the 3s from both finger prick tests and using the Libre, on an intermittent basis.

I have been down in the 2, as verified by finger prick tests (I don't trust tLibre when numbers are very low), and my only feeling is usually that I'll usually be hungry - sometimes very hungry.

If I'm hungry and a meal is imminent, I just have my meal. If I'm hungry and no meal is close, then I'll have a cup of tea, with milk - no sugar, which just bumps my bloods a tiny bit and gives my metabolism something to work on.

First couple of times I saw very low numbers, I found it a bit disconcerting, but not any more.

As far as you are concerned, provided you feel fine - not unwell, shaky or whatever, then consider just having something small or a drink. If I eat at a low number, I'll tend to make it a small piece of cheese, like a mini BabyBell, because my meals will be planned, and realistically, I don't need anything carbs or heavy.

If you feel unwell, or unsafe, and a drink won't pass muster, or you feel you need more, please try not to eat the fridge contents, as that Canmore lead to a bit,of a rebounding situation, where your metabolism gets confused.

After a while, you'll get used to your body and your confidence will grow, in terms of what a given situation feels like, and how you routinely react. Don't leave yourself feeling unsafe though.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DCUKMod Thats really useful! A babybel is actually what I grabbed last night to eat when it happened. If it wasn’t for the headache I wouldn’t check my blood at that time so would be oblivious as otherwise I do feel fine. I’ve been high 3’s regularly and no issue. Perhaps my body does just need some time to adjust to those low 3’s when they come and next time I should just ride through the headache and see if it passes naturally by my next meal. I think it’s just that initial panic sets in at what’s happening to me. I’ve got plenty years to understand by body a bit more - it’s still pretty new so really grateful for the advice

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DCUKMod Thats really useful! A babybel is actually what I grabbed last night to eat when it happened. If it wasn’t for the headache I wouldn’t check my blood at that time so would be oblivious as otherwise I do feel fine. I’ve been high 3’s regularly and no issue. Perhaps my body does just need some time to adjust to those low 3’s when they come and next time I should just ride through the headache and see if it passes naturally by my next meal. I think it’s just that initial panic sets in at what’s happening to me. I’ve got plenty years to understand by body a bit more - it’s still pretty new so really grateful for the advice

The headache could be a touch of dehydration?

Just a thought.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The headache could be a touch of dehydration?

Just a thought.
I do drink a lot all day. And have been adding salt to stuff too as when it happened when I was fasting it was suggested lack of salt can be the cause so I’ve tried to take that on board. The headache is just weird as it’s not a gradual onset. One minute I’m fine then bam, head wants to explode. Which is why I wondered if it was like a false hypo type symptom but wasn’t sure if that was even possible when my base readings a so low as my body should be used to being down there. Will keep monitoring. I feel more comfortable just knowing people do have 3’s and even 2’s and are well and fine and so I need to be a bit more confident and not stress about a number like that

M

Member496333

Try upping your protein a little more? It will likely raise overall glucose just a little bit. If you then feel better then stick with it. If it starts to become a problem then you probably need to see an endocrinologist, as glucagon should be regulating glucose production in the liver. Personally I would ignore any advice to rectify with carbohydrate.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try upping your protein a little more? It will likely raise overall glucose just a little bit. If you then feel better then stick with it. If it starts to become a problem then you probably need to see an endocrinologist, as glucagon should be regulating glucose production in the liver. Personally I would ignore any advice to rectify with carbohydrate.
Agreed on the carbs front. If my diabetes was magically cured tomorrow I wouldn’t go back to carbs as cutting them so low has solved so many other health issues I’ve suffered from for years. And always happy to give more protein a try! Any excuse to eat more meat keeps me happy. :)

M

Member496333

Agreed on the carbs front. If my diabetes was magically cured tomorrow I wouldn’t go back to carbs as cutting them so low has solved so many other health issues I’ve suffered from for years. And always happy to give more protein a try! Any excuse to eat more meat keeps me happy. :)

Agreed. For me at least, dumping carbohydrate has been as much about giving grains the cold shoulder as it has been about diabetes. It’s not only diabetics who benefit from not eating grass seeds :nurse:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just speculation, but it is based on personal experience:

Sometimes a low number (in your case 3.1) feels very different depending on how you get there.
A sudden drop may produce a very different experience than a gentle afternoon drifting downwards.

In my case exercise and stress have both been known to cause my bg to plummet - especially if they happen after a sedentary period. As an example, sitting at my desk all day, followed by a mad dash in heavy rain to catch a train can cause a nasty hypo, when the same bg number would not result in any problem, if I had been a little more active during the afternoon and less stressed/hurried on the way to the train.

Obviously, I can't speculate on the events leading up to your headaches, other than to suggest you keep an eye out for emerging patterns.

Reactions: Emma_369

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a fair point @Brunneria yesterday was indeed mad dash after work to fetch daughter from school, quick hoover around before babysitter came, outfit change and then dashing back out the house so a sudden active burst. Will bear that in mind if it happens again and pay attention to what Ive just done

Reactions: Brunneria