1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is there an alternative to Metformin?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by chocoholic, Apr 16, 2013.

1. kimbo1962

kimbo1962 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had the most common issue of really bad upset tummy problems, hard to leave the house! I also just felt really wiped out somehow as if a brick had hit me! Soon as I started forxiga it was like a switch had been flicked and I felt great.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JudiP

JudiP Type 2 · Member

I too and my twin sister took Metformin with resulting stomach problems. However, my doctor suggested that as I was on the maximum dose I should go on to insulin. I really wish I hadn't because my diabetic control is not good. However, when my twin sister mentioned to her doctor about Metformin effects he said that the stomach upsets would mean she wasn't absorbing enough Metformin anyway so he cut her dose! Result is she no longer has stomach upsets and her diabetic control is very good.

3. Channelhoppers

Channelhoppers Type 2 · Member

4. Channelhoppers

Channelhoppers Type 2 · Member

Hi. I know this post was a long time ago but I noticed you said your friends' endocrinologist prescribed her Glumetza. I cannot find a UK supplier, Boots cannot find it in the UK. Which hospital did your friend visit and maybe I could contact them.
    Many thanks

5. VimuktBish

VimuktBish Type 2 · Newbie

6. VimuktBish

VimuktBish Type 2 · Newbie

Glumetza is Metformin only....but extended release...However, your explanation of how it functions ( Meant for stomach not intestine) sounds great and due to this (stomach not intestine) I guess on emight get rid of Metformin after effects like nausea, dizziness & diarrhea

Link removed as a commercial site.

#26 VimuktBish, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  7. BonnieZink

BonnieZink Type 2 · Newbie

I just switched from regular Metformin, which produced all sorts of nasty side effects, to Glumetza (1000 mg at breakfast and dinner). Almost overnight many of my gastrointestinal and bowel distress symptoms seemed to have disappeared. I am watching it closely, but am hopeful that it will bring me out of that special ring of hell that standard Metformin caused.

8. Valerietownend

Valerietownend Type 2 · Member

hi I am also on metformin and i dont tolerate it ,so my doc prescribed a ppi such as omeprazole which helps to reduce stomach acid an this works well , i also am on lumixiar 20 mg daily an this causes nausea so the omeprazole helps with that . just might help with stomach upsets x

9. Hardhat

Hardhat Type 2 · Newbie

Did he try Janumet ?

10. senior1

senior1 Type 2 · Member

I had problems when I was on metformin and Gliclazide The metformin was affecting my kidney function and the Gliclazide gave me really bad constipation so much so that I had a perforated bowel that turned in an abscess and required surgery to drain it. I decided to stop taking both Metformin and gliclazide and went to see my doctor after a discussion about the alternatives he started me on insulin (Novamix 30) it took about 4 weeks to get the right dosage but since then my energy levels have gone back to what they used to be and I generally feel better in myself

11. amgrundy

amgrundy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi I have just changed my Metformin 500mg tablets to the SR release ones, I got a prescription for them yesterday, unfortunately the chemist has to order them so will be starting them in a couple of days. I had upset tummy and constipation on the Metformin so here`s hoping I will feel ok with the SR ones, by the way only for this website and all the lovely people on here I would never have known there were SR ones.:):)

12. NaplesNative

NaplesNative Type 2 · Newbie

I have tried regular metformin, then the extended release, and they caused severe stomach aches, and severe diarrhea. I was then taking Glumetza and it worked great. Now the Company that makes Glumetza charges a minimum of 1,000.00 to 5,000.00 for a months supply and this is with insurance. I am now without, and I am trying to get help from the company, by filling out an an application since I can't afford it. I will take advice and look up some of the other medications that were listed. I also have looked up and Glumetza will give you B12 deficiency, and I have also been diagnosed with that just within the last 6 months/

13. NaplesNative

NaplesNative Type 2 · Newbie

I would be interested in seeing what you have to say. Thank you.

14. pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also had terrible problems with Metformin and was prescribed Forxiga ((Dapagliflosin) which has been great

15. Sine1957

Sine1957 Type 2 · Newbie

I had been taking Forxiga for 10 months and had to come off it due to infections, but in all that time I had to take Metformin as well.

Its only in the last couple of months that I knew Metformin came in modified release. My Doctor put me on it when I mentioned (again) the constant diarrhea I was plagued with. I have suffered from "the runs", for easily 15 years and did not know that Metformin had anything to do with it! I feel so ignorant!

16. wsgfreggrA@12

[email protected] · Newbie

Meglitinides such as repaglinide and nateglinide are oral diabetes medicined that help stimulate insulin production in the pancreas, notes FamilyDoctor.org. However meglitinides can cause hypoglycemia and should not be taken with alcohol, explains the American Diabetes Association. read more about this drug here https://www.researchbook.co/type-2-diabetes/ hope i have made a valid point

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Shady_Nook

Shady_Nook Type 2 · Newbie

What an inspiration you are. I am newly diagnosed and following a very strict diet 800 cals a day plus daily walks and weekend rambles! I have lost 21lb in 8 weeks, had a few days away a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of glasses of red wine and a small portion of chips (heaven!) finding it hard sometimes but I'm determined to stay med free. Got first fasting blood test in January since diagnosis, whatever happens I feel and look so much better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. kimbo1962

kimbo1962 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are doing so very well!! I really need to get back to being a regular on here, I've lapsed, in lots of ways, lots of reasons, but I'm determined to get back on track! Currently still meds free but just asked my gp to let me go back on forxiga....awaiting bloods next week :/

19. starryeyedchick

starryeyedchick Type 2 · Newbie

I have a daily injection Lyxumia as i cannot take Metfirmin due to an autoimmune disease i have. It works pretty much the same plus also helps with weight loss. I lost 72lb in 9 months!!

20. VinnyJames

VinnyJames Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Low carb diet and moderate exercise where possible is the best alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook