Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Re: Is there anybody out there that is happy to have diabete

Hi there,
I would not say I am happy to have diabetes, but then there's lots of things I am unhappy about. There are also lots of things I am happy about as a result of having diabetes:
Free prescriptions; free eye tests; the fact that I am now the weight I should be because I eat right, I am slim again!; I get nutritional advice free and now I understand about carbs and portion control; I allow myself to buy G&B chocolate without feeling guilty; my partner found out that he had high cholesterol because I suggested he have a health check following my diagnosis, so now we are both healthier; I am so much fitter; I appreciate life more than before.

Those are a few things I am happy about. Of course, I wish it had never happened, I had a terrible time when first diagnosed and due to the circumstances, did not want to live to be honest. But, this has given the opportunity to fight hard to turn it all around. A year on and I have gone from taking insulin injections to being very close to reaching my goal of being completely off diabetes medication (my goal is to be off injections by the end of Feb, tomorrow I start on one unit a day! My blood sugars remain healthy and my last HBA1C was 5.7 (9 at diagnosis). I am really pleased with myself and it's shown me I can do anything I put my mind to.

I guess that's something to be happy about.............

I would like to add that I have been weaning myself off insulin gradually, only under the approval of my diabetes nurse and nutritionist, both who have been very supportive. I have also been monitoring my levels very closely.

Wishing you all a happy day,
Tweetypie

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

There are worse things to have! But I'm certainly not happy to be (T2) Diabetic.

Sometimes, I think I'd rather be T1 - at least then I would KNOW that the lack of insulin production was the issue.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Patch said:
There are worse things to have! But I'm certainly not happy to be (T2) Diabetic.

Sometimes, I think I'd rather be T1 - at least then I would KNOW that the lack of insulin production was the issue.

If I had a magic wand I would not wish for anyone to have Type 1, especially with everything that goes with it, especially the children :thumbdown:

That's a inappropiate sentence to write , truly unbelievable :thumbdown: :(

RRB

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

I can understand where everyone is coming from with all the responses. If there was a cure for diabetes believe me I'd be one of the first in that queue along with yourselves but until that day I'd have to say that I accept that I have diabetes and I've learned to live with it. I try not to let it control me, more that I will control it - doesn't always go to plan but hey ho. I love that I'm a healthy person and diabetes has not stopped me from achieving my goals in life, however what I'll say in another 20 years I don't know. There are times when I can't get anything right with my sugars and I cry myself to sleep asking why me. Overall I'm a happy person but deep down if I could be rid of diabetes I'd be an even happier person :D

Bodybuilder type1

I know this is a controversial statement to make but if anyone disagrees please reply
But anyways type 2 diabetes can be reversed and is treatable with the right diet and exercise and I don't mean go for a walk here and there if you follow a strict diet and exercise 4times a week you could come off insulin altogether think there is a documentary out there called raw food diet or along them lines diabetes raw or something, even type 1 diabetics should always no matter what is happening in your life you will always be more happier smarter and confident if you exercise I know every one knows the benefits of exercise but you must do it .
Far better is the diabetic who is active but struggles to keep his or her sugars under control than the one who does nothing .
better physically ,and better mentally -doug burns mister universe. type 1diabetic

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bodybuilder type1

I thought of a few more things that diabetes has helped me with
one time when me and my mate were 17 we were out one night for a drink took a shortcut home there was a group of lads who had a gun and bats they wanted to mug us and badly beat uz they were scum! the minute they approached uz I asked them to point us towards the nearest shop they said why! and I said I'm about to collapse I NEED SUGAR ! I'm a diabetic they asked uz for our money and helped us hop over a wall to get to the nearest shop hahahahaha suckers ! Moral of the story use diabetes to get u out of any situation

I don't advocate this but I was late for college and jumped into the bus lane. skipping this traffic would take 1min in the bus lane but 20 min at this junction so I jumped in just as I did I drove right up behind a Garda car ! They stopped and got out the officer said is there any reason you are in this emergency lane I said (and I am convinced you have to say it exactly like this) i am not low in sugar I have just left my blood tester at home I need to get some sugar just in case he then said ,so your diabetic well there is a shop down that road to which you reply you don't know the area and they won't stand there holding up traffic to argue with you so they say no prob mate and your free to go
Diabetes all the way lol

Has anybody else, have stories about how they used diabetes to there advantage ? :)

kjw123

Happy to have Diabetes???? What kind of a dumb statement/question is that??

I'm type 1 for 25 years now reasonably well controlled.

I love having chronic leg and foot pain every night which results in me being totally knackered the following morning all through Diabetic Neuropathy. Not had a decent night sleep for years.

I love being partially blind in my left eye due to Diabetic Retinopahy.

I love being out of breath and hardly able to walk 10 feet without almost colapsing.....heart failure (just diagnosed) a condition brought on possibly by long term Diabetes according to my Doctor.

A Diabetic friend of mine has lost half his leg and had a kidney transplant all because of Diabetes.

Yes life is a bundle of fun being Diabetic.

You got it at 11 and at 25 your still healthy......My Uncle became T1 at 9 years old he was a top athlete throughout his teens and early 20's he lived till he was 53 then died with diabetic complications.

Come back and tell us the same story when you have had it 30+ years. And your in your late 50's.

Mikegray0001

To be honest I think this can be a touchy subject as I can see with the posts.

I'm type 1 and have been for 20 years. I'm 22 now.

All my life I have had diabetes. It's helped me gain a lot of things and the biggest is the mental strength to get things that "diabetics shouldn't". My diabetes is very controlled but that has had it's moments as well. My parents have been a god send to help me mainly understand that I can do anything in which I have.

I currently hold multiple black belts in martial arts. And at national level I have represented my country. I am now heading into mainstreAm. And throughout my whole career I have had diabetes.

I am not the perfect human I eat chocolate and I do as I please. The only thing I have is a very good "friendship" with diabetes.

It's not about "like" and "not like" we have it and there is nothing we can do about it apart from being friends supporting each other and living as healthy as possible.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

I am not the perfect human I eat chocolate and I do as I please. The only thing I have is a very good "friendship" with diabetes.

It's not about "like" and "not like" we have it and there is nothing we can do about it apart from being friends supporting each other and living as healthy as possible.

Agreed.

group of lads who had a gun and bats they wanted to mug us and badly beat uz they were scum! the minute they approached uz I asked them to point us towards the nearest shop they said why! and I said I'm about to collapse I NEED SUGAR ! I'm a diabetic they asked uz for our money and helped us hop over a wall to get to the nearest shop hahahahaha suckers ! Moral of the story use diabetes to get u out of any situation

Yikes, scary, but at least you got yourself out of it. I've not had a situation like this before but when I have been out if something has come up that I didn't like I admit i've used my diabetes as an excuse to get out of it - eek! Other than that I don't let it stop me doing other things. I'm a kickboxer as well.

It's funny actually because i've been thinking a lot about this thread overnight and I don't know how I feel about if I'm happy having diabetes? I was 9 when diagnosed and really only accepted it in the last 2 years (i'm now 26), I guess I am happy to a certain degree. But if that cure ever comes out sign me up.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.

I don't think the poster of this question should be told it's absurd to think that anyone could be happy to have diabetes. Of course we'd all rather not have it but I truly think what they were trying to say is what positives can be gained from having diabetes. It's about turning a terrible disease into a positive and overcoming adversity. For me, finding reasons to happy about having diabetes actually helped me not want to end it all when I was overcome with anxiety about why it all happened. Everything happens for a reason and sometimes amazing things can result from the most tragic circumstances.

I spent a lot of time being unhappy about having diabetes and I still question why why why and nearly burst into tears when I think of all the possible reasons so I'll be damned if I'm going to waste any more time not being happy. A few years ago a relaitve of mine died at 30 years of age of alcohol problems, a friend of mine died at 17 from cancer, so I figure life could be worse. We are here, we are in the world and I feel we should be happy with that at least!

P.S I spent many years being depressed and unhappy about my weight and now because of the diabetes I am slim again and am no longer unhappy.

So there!

PSTeague

Type of diabetes
Type 2

You are just talking about human nature.

Bodybuilder type1

Me and diabetes are best mates we fight sometimes like any relationship but its all good .I control my life through my mind i am what i think about .I am sorry there are so many people that have not looked after them selfs and have experienced bad health problems from having diabetes maybe due to being older and there being less information on how to look after your self or not having blood testers and thankfully I was born in a time where they have them but you either make the choice now to look after your self or the choice will be made for you -fact

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.

For me it's been a constant struggle since childhood, after 32 yrs now I go through patches where at certain points in time I don't mind it and just get along with things at other times I absolutely hate it. There comes periods in your life when it's just a burden and makes simple things all the more complicated, at other times I just feel like it's a never ending struggle and want a 'time out' from having to constantly deal with it. It's got ups and downs but having had it since childhood I would not really know what it's like not having diabetes so don't have much to compare with. At times I look at the healthy people and just try to imagine how great it would be not having to feel tired, stressed and not having worries about having to take sugar readings and insulins, having to make sure I have my test kit each time I go out for more than an hour...

Don't think happy ever came into things for me, it's just been get along with it there is no choice... on the plus side I seem to have done ok, no complications other than lack of hypo signs... so it can be done but it's bloody hard work, and I wish really DO that the medical professionals dealing with us actualy had more knowledge than we have, that is the most depressing thing, going into clinic and having the dam nurse run you through 'how to treat a hypo' seriously! (sorry for the rant :))

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Not happy to have it but far more appreciative of the little things in life. I had anorexia for 5 years and I believe being diagnosed gave me something else to focus on. I am a better mum to my children since being diagnosed, of course I have bad days where I find it hard to do things (i suffer extreme anxiety over hypos) but I'm less selfish than I used to be! :)

kjw123

Bodybuilder type1 said:
Me and diabetes are best mates we fight sometimes like any relationship but its all good .I control my life through my mind i am what i think about .I am sorry there are so many people that have not looked after them selfs and have experienced bad health problems from having diabetes maybe due to being older and there being less information on how to look after your self or not having blood testers and thankfully I was born in a time where they have them but you either make the choice now to look after your self or the choice will be made for you -fact

To Bodybuilder type1.......I'm afraid you are totally disalusioned if you think that just looking after yourself will prevent Diabetic complications, you need a reality check my friend Diabetic complications occur to well controlled Diabetics also. So if you think they don't then you are in line for a big shock, and that is also - fact

Bodybuilder type1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

To Bodybuilder type1.......I'm afraid you are totally disalusioned if you think that just looking after yourself will prevent Diabetic complications, you need a reality check my friend Diabetic complications occur to well controlled Diabetics also. So if you think they don't then you are in line for a big shock, and that is also - fact[/quote]

I did not realise if your sugars were great hba1c was 6.0 you were fit and healthy that you could get diabetic complications what are the complications you get when you look after your self ?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

I see to have had a lot of diabetic complications BEFORE I was diagnosed and changed my diet to exclude most carbs.

Began years ago with chronic fatigue and depression which was the most horrible health experience ever! I felt like a fraud, kept telling myself I was lazy, imagining the fatigue etc., and I can only describe CF as similar to having a purse full of money, going out and spending it all in 5 minutes and having to wait a whole month until the next lot of money arrived. My energy just DISAPPEARED sometimes on the way to the shops and I'd find myself without enough energy to get myself home. Or I'd be half way through cleaning the bathroom and suddenly need to lie on the floor and sleep. I did that once while bending down to pick the post up in the hall and three days later I woke up!

That's CF and it's damned awful and yes it's linked to depression but hell anyone who was so tired WOULD be depressed. Doctors finding nothing physical didn't help. All in the mind.

Then came the asthma, which I felt was more like heart failure than asthma. But again, who was I to argue? Then came IBS, then angioedema and finally anaphylactic shock. Doctors still FOUND NOTHING apart from a few blood tests which showed I had 'an infection somewhere' but they didn't know where.

I went to a homeopath who took blood samples, showed me my blood while it was LIVE ON CAM, and it was behaving strangely. My blood cells were sticking together he said and slotting on top of each other - not good.

Went to doctor and screamed. Got blood tests. Diabetic. Got treatment. Complications receded into background.

What every person with diabetes should be campaigning for in my opinion, is IMPROVED DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA. Many of us suffer lots of complications which are treated individually with lots of INAPPROPRIATE meds before we're even diagnosed.

DIAGNOSE EARLIER! CUT OUT THE 'PRE-DIABETIC' **** DIAGNOSIS AND START TREATING PEOPLE EARLIER. :)

kjw123

Bodybuilder type1 said:

To Bodybuilder type1.......I'm afraid you are totally disalusioned if you think that just looking after yourself will prevent Diabetic complications, you need a reality check my friend Diabetic complications occur to well controlled Diabetics also. So if you think they don't then you are in line for a big shock, and that is also - fact[/quote]

I did not realise if your sugars were great hba1c was 6.0 you were fit and healthy that you could get diabetic complications what are the complications you get when you look after your self ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

I have already stated the complications that I have...Neuropathy, Retinopathy, Heart Failure. all activated even with reasonably good control but the doctor admitted there are Diabetics with good control that have problems and there are Diabetics with bad control that have no problems It's all the luck of the draw. However, good control is always the best preventive line.

My point is though that you can never rule complications out they can happen to any Diabetic regardless of you hbA1c level.

jimidewhurst

Dislikes
people saying i CANT do something cause of my condition

ive come to terms of being happy about having type 1 but i was diagnosed at the age of 18 months tho so the whole routine to me is just normal everyday life now im 26 now have a loving wife and 3 year old daughter who is gona be learning more bout my condition as she grows . but from the age of 13 to 17 i went on a downer bout being differnt to my friends but now it really dont bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.