Is this for real?

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a Yank so I don't get a vote but, is it truly needed?

I'll be the first to admit that no kid needs a $1,000 coat. But do the schools over there really get to decide? Will they soon force kids to eat lower quality meals because the poorer kids can't afford the good stuff? Where does this end?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/uk/poverty-proof-school-gbr-scli-intl/index.html

High school bans Canada Goose and Moncler jackets to protect poorer children

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Personally myself, I agree that schools should ban kids from wearing expensive labeled clothing.
I say this because of the poorer kids families just can,t compete. In my view, the poorer ones get bullied because of this. I also think that school uniforms are very expensive from a shop that a school say parents should use.

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally myself, I agree that schools should ban kids from wearing expensive labeled clothing.
I say this because of the poorer kids families just can,t compete. In my view, the poorer ones get bullied because of this. I also think that school uniforms are very expensive from a shop that a school say parents should use.

Interesting point of view. I'm sure that there are many that share it. But where do we draw the line between bullying and typical childhood adversity? I want my kids to experience some bad behaviour, (from others), when they are growing up. I believe that it helps to prepare them for the real world. Maybe I'm just out of touch with reality. To me, bullying is terrorizing some kid on Facebook, or being physically abusive just because you can. But making fun of some other kid's shoes or coat is just something that kids do. IMHO, we are using the word "bully" too loosely. But that's just me... and this comes from someone that was bullied pretty regularly as a child.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This shows an age very different from the one I grew up in. Different schools in different neighborhoods, some neighborhoods more financially well-off than others. Even now, as far as public schools (state schools) you go to the school in your school zone.

That said, some kids in my high school wore pricey name-brand clothes. Some didn't. Some were given cars when they turned 16 -- anything from a Corvette or MG to a VW Beetle. Some rode the bus. Some band members owned their own expensive instruments; others (including me) used the school's instruments.

Nobody bullied you because of your clothes, and the school didn't ban John Romaine handbags or Bass shoes or Villager dresses or alligator shirts.

Rather than ban the name brands maybe schools should focus on banning bullying and snobbery. And on teaching parents how not to give in to pressure from their kids. Or how to say, "You want an expensive coat? Go out and get a job and earn one."

There's always gonna be someone with more money than you, and someone with less money. At any stage in life. That's life.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Maybe schools should enforce a ruling that ALL kids wear a uniform and the kids parents that can not afford to buy a Uniform outright given a grant((for school clothing only)) to buy one

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe schools should enforce a ruling that ALL kids wear a uniform and the kids parents that can not afford to buy a Uniform outright given a grant((for school clothing only)) to buy one

Coats aren't normally part of the uniform.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
always thought jackets were blazers but might be wrong i guess

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe if it is a C of E school they could do a lesson on Luke 3:11 and make it like a Secret Santa so a rich kid goes to the store, buys two regular coats instead of one very expensive one and then donates the second coat to a kid anonymously. Pay for two, take one home, leave one as the donation at the store.