Is this normal

Jonlennon

I've been type one for 2 months and the first two weeks my sugars were very high, but the last two days I've ate a lot of crab high carbs and even had cake and chocolate I know it's bad, but felt a bit down. However my sugars have been in perfect range, been between 4 and 7. Where as before if I ate cake etc it would go sky high?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type one for 2 months and the first two weeks my sugars were very high, but the last two days I've ate a lot of crab high carbs and even had cake and chocolate I know it's bad, but felt a bit down. However my sugars have been in perfect range, been between 4 and 7. Where as before if I ate cake etc it would go sky high?

Hi @Jonlennon ,

The "honeymoon" period maybe covering this for you? (Spasmodic pancreatic function before the final giving out.) Were you snacking these without a bolus??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
i @Jonlennon, If you go to the homepage, type 1 diabetes and down to 'honeymoon' there is an explanation of what I think you are describing.
From what I remember of it you have more leeway with carbs (do not worry, I often accidentally type crabs instead)!!! per dose of insulin and insulin dose can go way down.

Reactions: Jonlennon

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others suggested, this is likely the "honeymoon" period. A total oxymoron of a name, but it means your pancreas is producing insulin again, before finally being finished off.