Is this true?

jonjaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid doctors
Just asked my consultant how many people loose weight after starting on insulin lying b#######
said 50 - 60%. Told me to stop having coleslaw on my lunch time sandwich as it's bad! still hasn't told me what b.s. targets I need to hit. Mind you I have only been on insulin since November last year. If this is how they treat me now aged 59 God help me if I ever get to 70.
DVLA don't help as they want everyone on insulin to be over 5 to drive 2 typos and they take your license off you.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Just asked my consultant how many people loose weight after starting on insulin lying b#######
said 50 - 60%. Told me to stop having coleslaw on my lunch time sandwich as it's bad! still hasn't told me what b.s. targets I need to hit. Mind you I have only been on insulin since November last year. If this is how they treat me now aged 59 God help me if I ever get to 70.
DVLA don't help as they want everyone on insulin to be over 5 to drive 2 typos and they take your license off you.
@jonjaz,
That would be strike 1 then, It's 2 HYPOS ( but only ones you can't correct yourself! );)
Sorry for being flippant @jonjaz, Welcome to the forum:)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Insulin as a hormone allows the glucose to be utilised by the body for energy and ALSO to be converted to fat for storage so if you up your insulin without cutting your carbs then you will tend to put on weight especially if you are a t2 with insulin resistance and your body is swimming with insulin.
If alternatively you cut your carbs and trim your insulin resistance you may manage to work your weight down.
I ASSUME you are a T2 (sorry if I got it wrong) but Insulin CAN be a springboard to weight loss, for T2s, but IMHO, not alone but as a part of a concerted effort of cutting carbs and insulin resistance, hopefully trimming insulin use in the long term.

jonjaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid doctors
Yes it is true, he also stated that I shouldn't have any coleslaw on my sandwich because of the fat in it. No problem with the bread!
So I now know that the secret to losing weight and getting rid of my type2 is no coleslaw.
This is a consultant earning £100K+ a year.
Now being called Trouble by my GP Nurse and looking for an honest Consultant.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes it is true, he also stated that I shouldn't have any coleslaw on my sandwich because of the fat in it. No problem with the bread!
So I now know that the secret to losing weight and getting rid of my type2 is no coleslaw.
This is a consultant earning £100K+ a year.
Now being called Trouble by my GP Nurse and looking for an honest Consultant.

Honesty is not the issue jonjaz, the medical fraternity knows very little about our condition in the general scheme of things. Trouble is, some of them think they know everything.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jonjaz,
That would be strike 1 then, It's 2 HYPOS ( but only ones you can't correct yourself! );)
Sorry for being flippant @jonjaz, Welcome to the forum:)
Yes more than one severe hypo a year (= requires the assistance of others), or any hypo unawareness, or any severe hypo behind the wheel.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
why don't you really tell us how you feel about your consultant
b0201.gif

I reduce weight by reducing carb,,I'd eat the coleslaw and throw away the bread ..if you reduce carb, you will need to work with your HCP to reduce insulin
a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

From the @Southport GP study, who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I started on Insulin and was told oh you will not put weight on :sour: that was BS anyways i find going back onto metformin has helped me reduce my weight again that and extra exercise, I only walk with the dogs but it has made me fitter... but Insulin deff puts weight on who they try to kid:clown:

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, well I was told that I couldn't go on insulin because I WOULD put on weight. Metformin never worked even in the slightest bit for me, and when gliclazide "wore out" (as in became ineffective) they wanted to put me on yet another tablet. I really had to push hard to get them to give me insulin, even though I was at the maximum dose of gliclazide and my BG levels had constantly been in double digits for over a month. In the end it was only that my kidney test came back slightly worrying that they finally relented and started me on insulin.

They also told me that I would need a huge amount of insulin, probably 60 to 80 units. It turned out I only needed 15 to 20, and that was on the "high carb" diet they were recommending (though even back then I was "cheating" and only eating about half the carbs they were recommending). Since I've found this forum and discovered what true low carb is, I've halved that already small dose and now only need 8 to 10 units, and I've lost 18 lbs!

For a type 2, the trick to weight loss on insulin is definitely to low carb and thus reduce your insulin requirements to their absolute minimum. It's a strange relationship that we type 2's have with insulin, in that it is almost like a saviour and an enemy, both at the same time. If metformin (which only increases insulin sensitivity and doesn't actually increase insulin) doesn't work, then no matter what the treatment, either tablets or injections, it's working by increasing your insulin levels (either your own insulin in the case of tablets or external insulin in the case of injections).

But many of the negative effects of having T2 (like weight gain and other poor health outcomes) are related to having too much insulin (we have too much insulin because our bodies no longer utilise it properly). Low carb, even if that requires higher fat consumption, (and it does), is really the only "circuit breaker" that I think can work to fix this unhealthy relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
crack on with the slaw, drop the bread and do a bit of testing....