Is very low nerve conduction reversible?

desidiabulum

I’m not talking about peripheral neuropathy as such (I don’t have any, thank god) – more just about VERY low nerve conduction velocity. I had an NCV test where the neurophysiologist got quite anxious about how bad it was, and was convinced it had been very low for many years (it was one of those tests that was almost comically awful – the man is whistling and joking at first, then stops whistling, frowns, stops talking, mutters ‘what the...’ under his breath, scratches his head, etc etc). The assumption is that this is connected to my B12 levels being ludicrously low (140 is meant to be severely low – mine were 74), and I know that if B12 deficiency is sustained over many years (which they seem to be assuming in my case) the damage to nerve tissue is supposed to be irreversible. But I have been getting very mixed and mostly incoherent responses from GPs and consultants about what all this means. They seem to want to work on the assumption that it MIGHT be reversible if I keep having the B12 injections, but ‘wait and see’ is also a great way of pushing things under the carpet and if damage has been done I want to try to get some proper assessment of it. I’m tempted to go privately briefly to get a second opinion, but just thought I’d ask here whether anyone has ever had anything like this.
(P.S. I don’t have pernicious anaemia, my intrinsic factor and parietal cells are OK, I haven’t had surgery – don’t know what the hell is going on, really....)